regular expression in smart play list def

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests regular expression in smart play list def

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ghedo
    Participant

Think wil be usefull have regExp in the def of the smart play list.

rpedde
    Participant

@ghedo wrote:

Think wil be usefull have regExp in the def of the smart play list.

The smart playlists right now get turned into sql commands, so it would be hard to do, but it’s possible I could just do full row scans and do all the playlist comparisons at the server rather than at the db.

That’s a strong maybe. Once I get sorting and top-n style playlists, it should be possible to add regex playlists as well.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

wow, no Regexp’s!
    that would definetely kill performance on something like the slug.

If you have to, use “like”, thats very powerful, but should leverage the load on the slug, shouldnt it?
    besides, is gdb capable of that?

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

wow, no Regexp’s!
    that would definetely kill performance on something like the slug.

If you have to, use “like”, thats very powerful, but should leverage the load on the slug, shouldnt it?
    besides, is gdb capable of that?

the “includes” keyword maps directly to ‘like “%string%”‘, so that’s easy. Harder to make a regex style into a real sql query.

Instead, you’d have to scan every row and run regex comparisons against every row.

Really wouldn’t be that bad… even on the slug, it does two passes through the db anyway. It’s something I’ll probably have an option to do — using a “smart” backend like sqlite, or a “dumb” backend like gdb, with all the smart playlist stuff done on outside the database.

I’m kind of curious what performance might look like.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.