raop play addon for firefly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ak.

Hi,

I would find it very cool if it would be able to extend Firefly to be able to to stream to Apple Airport stations. A section in the userinterface where you can select the Airport discovered using mDNSClient and then stream it using raop_play with an option to pause, rewind in playlists….

http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

ak.

sonichouse
    Participant

For this to work, you would have to be able to associate a client with the airport.

My firefly serves 3 or 4 clients, but I like the idea of saying that music streamed to device A also streams to the airport.

I would even consider buying an airport if this feature was added 😀

rpedde
    Participant

@ak. wrote:

Hi,

I would find it very cool if it would be able to extend Firefly to be able to to stream to Apple Airport stations. A section in the userinterface where you can select the Airport discovered using mDNSClient and then stream it using raop_play with an option to pause, rewind in playlists….

http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

ak.

A daap client with a raop_play backend? But then you’ll want full playlist management on the server side, including queueing and client management.

It sounds like what you *really* want is slimserver. That’s a server-based playlist manager with dumb clients, rather then the obverse, which is what firefly/iTunes is. Firefly isn’t really suited to that sort of thing, as it doesn’t suit it’s model well.

To do it right, you’d have a daap client with a web interface from which to manage play orders and stuff. But that would be a lot of work, and would essentially just be re-writing slimserver to use daap as a file system rather than the local file system. Which doesn’t make sense if you can just run slimserver.

Not sure if that makes sense, but were I to spend an afternoon hacking to achieve this, I’d certainly start with slimserver as a basis.

fizze
    Participant

Hm, what about the very nice FirePlay Flash client?
    That pretty much has all the features for playlist management, etc.

You’d just need to send it’s stream to raop-play too/instead.

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Hm, what about the very nice FirePlay Flash client?
    That pretty much has all the features for playlist management, etc.

You’d just need to send it’s stream to raop-play too/instead.

That’s true… but you’d need to come up with an alac-encoder and encryption routines in ecmascript. That might be the challenge. 🙂

— Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.