Random ‘Failed to connect to server’ messages

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Random ‘Failed to connect to server’ messages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    christophlad

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this message? It doesn’t happen all the time but does seem to be linked with periods of inactivity.

I use an unslung NSLU2 running mt-daapd v0.2.4 with a roku SB m500.

NSLU2 is wired to a 3com officeconnect router and SB is connected wirelessly with static ip.

Seem to get the message when I resume SB from standby. Then when I try to reconnect again it usually works. I had the same problem when I ran my server from an XP pc with firefly and iTunes but didn’t get the problem with WMC2 on the same pc.

Any help would be appreciated as this is really annoying.

Ta

rpedde
    Participant

@christophlad wrote:

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this message? It doesn’t happen all the time but does seem to be linked with periods of inactivity.

I use an unslung NSLU2 running mt-daapd v0.2.4 with a roku SB m500.

NSLU2 is wired to a 3com officeconnect router and SB is connected wirelessly with static ip.

Seem to get the message when I resume SB from standby. Then when I try to reconnect again it usually works. I had the same problem when I ran my server from an XP pc with firefly and iTunes but didn’t get the problem with WMC2 on the same pc.

Any help would be appreciated as this is really annoying.

Ta

It appears (to me, I might be wrong) to be a soundbridge issue. I also get that occasionally, as well as sometimes not being able to connect at all unless I reboot the soundbridge.

Are you running the latest firmware? It seems to have made the “failed to connect to server” less frequent, but now it when it happens (which again, is less frequently — maybe once a month?) then it just wont connect no matter how many times you retry unless you reboot the soundbridge.

In any event, whenever the soundbridge does that, the firefly server seems to be working fine.. discoverable over rendezvous, web page responds, iTunes can connect… just the soundbridge wont.

:/

christophlad

I am running the most recent non-beta version of the sounbridge firmware.

Never had this problem when I used WMC on the XP pc (before I bought the NSLU2).

Does mt-daapd (firefly) use the bonjour software when on NSLU2? If so, could this be the common link as this is what iTunes uses?

rpedde
    Participant

@christophlad wrote:

Never had this problem when I used WMC on the XP pc (before I bought the NSLU2).

wmc and firefly use different protocols.

Does mt-daapd (firefly) use the bonjour software when on NSLU2? If so, could this be the common link as this is what iTunes uses?

Not sure what you are asking, but they use different implementations of bonjour. On windows, it uses apple’s bonjour for windows. On unix, it can use apples posix mdns, or howl, or the apple mdns on osx. In the stock nslu2 packages, it uses the built-in responder, which is apples posix mdns responder.

But the problem isn’t a mdns problem, or iTunes wouldn’t be able to connect, and it wouldn’t appear in safari rendezvous bookmarks.

That’s what makes me think the problem is on the soundbridge.

— Ron

massivekid

The problem occures when the harddisk of the NLSU2 is spinned down.

the first time it wants to connect it will take longer (because the HD is spinning up) The Roku will time-out and you will get this error.

The next time, the hd is already running, and the connect will be successful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.