Random Disc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, new to the forums but I’ve been using Firefly for a while now and I really enjoy it. Running across a problem though: my share will randomly disconnect in iTunes, sometimes in the middle of a song and sometimes when a song isn’t even playing. Any ideas? Here’s the pertinent info:
    Firefly version: svn-1696
    Server: Debian Linux
    Client: iTunes 7.5 for Windows
    Also tried Rhythmbox for Linux, it had absolutely no problem staying connected (it was on a laptop through a wired connection).

I have a logfile if it’s necessary, it shows a couple errors on startup.

Oh, and I feign like I know what I’m doing, but really I am a linux noob, so you’ll probably have to walk me through anything server-side

rpedde
    Participant

@Juddium wrote:

Hi, new to the forums but I’ve been using Firefly for a while now and I really enjoy it. Running across a problem though: my share will randomly disconnect in iTunes, sometimes in the middle of a song and sometimes when a song isn’t even playing. Any ideas? Here’s the pertinent info:
    Firefly version: svn-1696
    Server: Debian Linux
    Client: iTunes 7.5 for Windows
    Also tried Rhythmbox for Linux, it had absolutely no problem staying connected (it was on a laptop through a wired connection).

I have a logfile if it’s necessary, it shows a couple errors on startup.

Oh, and I feign like I know what I’m doing, but really I am a linux noob, so you’ll probably have to walk me through anything server-side

1696 has a contention issue with the database that causes it to become locked. Quick fix is to turn off background scanning by setting scan_interval to 0. You’ll have to manually rescan when you need to add music, but it will keep your server running better. 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perfect, I’ll give that a go. Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

hrm, unfortunately it is still giving me random disconnects even with scan_interval set to 0. any other ideas? I know I’ve had this problem before and it managed to work itself out, but I had to shut my server down for a month and it’s been giving me this problem ever since I cranked it back up.

rpedde
    Participant

@Juddium wrote:

hrm, unfortunately it is still giving me random disconnects even with scan_interval set to 0. any other ideas? I know I’ve had this problem before and it managed to work itself out, but I had to shut my server down for a month and it’s been giving me this problem ever since I cranked it back up.

When it disconnects, does it disappear from itunes altogether, and then stay gone until you restart the server?

If so, then it’s that the server isn’t seeing the iTunes queries for the server location. That can be a lot of things, but the most likely are router not passing multicast traffic, or server crashing, or the mdns daemon not working right. Stuff to try:

1. Check your wireless router (if you are connecting wirelessly). Make sure any options for Multicast or IGRP or UPnP or media streaming are enabled. Update firmware if possible.

2. If you are running debian or ubuntu, try using the built-in debian or ubuntu packages (first remove the nightlies version with “apt-get remove –purge mt-daapd”, then install it with “apt-get install mt-daapd”. You’ll need to re-edit the config file).

3. Make sure your firewall isn’t blocking it. You should be allowing inbound udp to port 5353 from 224.0.0.251, and allowing outbound udp from 5353 to 224.0.0.251.

Those are the most common issues.

— Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.