Question about mp3 tags

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

After wondering why my SoundBridge doesnt find all music under the genres I expected em under I came up with a theory that it has to do with the tag handling of firefly.

I do have some mp3’s where not all tags are right. To be precise its a nice mixture of v1.0, v1.1, v2.3 and v2.4 tags on these files. Many have a v1 and a v2 tag, and sometimes these dont match.

How does firefly handle this?

The v2 tags support multiple genres. So you can set a song to be Progressive Rock as well as Rock and Pop. What does firefly do with it? Find and announce em with all 3 genres or just the top genre?

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

I do have some mp3’s where not all tags are right. To be precise its a nice mixture of v1.0, v1.1, v2.3 and v2.4 tags on these files. Many have a v1 and a v2 tag, and sometimes these dont match.

How does firefly handle this?

If both v1 and v2 tags are present, it reads v1 tags first, then overwrites any duplicates with the v2 tag info. So they both get read, and merged together with a preference for v2 tags.

The v2 tags support multiple genres. So you can set a song to be Progressive Rock as well as Rock and Pop. What does firefly do with it? Find and announce em with all 3 genres or just the top genre?

Just the first. And that’s assuming a fair bit. id3v2 only supports multiple generes if the are numeric genres — one of the predefined winamp ones. If you have multiple genres that are ad-hoc (which *all* of mine are), then it doesn’t work. CCRdude posted a nice post on support for multiple genres that I’ll probably digest and try to implement on this side, but mostly the multiple genre stuff is broken. As is multiple artists, etc.

That’s one of the goals for the next db re-write… to be able to support that.

NeomaD
    Participant

That’s one of the goals for the next db re-write… to be able to support that.

That is a great undertaking! I really hope you succed, both with the multiple artists and the multiple genres.

It would be even more great if ID3 standard would handle it in a good way.

//Martin

mas
    Participant

ust the first. And that’s assuming a fair bit. id3v2 only supports multiple generes if the are numeric genres — one of the predefined winamp ones. If you have multiple genres that are ad-hoc (which *all* of mine are), then it doesn’t work. CCRdude posted a nice post on support for multiple genres that I’ll probably digest and try to implement on this side, but mostly the multiple genre stuff is broken. As is multiple artists, etc.

Interesting. That explains a bit. I use

ID3-TagIT 3

as mp3 tagt editor and it definitly does multiple NON-NUMERIC genres. And I have also already stumbled on downloaded mp3’s which did have multiple non-numeric genres that this program did correctly recognize and edit. I am speaking of v2.4 tags here. So if that is not officially supported by id3v2, then it does at least work inofficially quite reliable already.

This mp3 tagger also allows to incorporate pictures in 3 modes into the tags:
    1. saved with the mp3
    2. full link to file
    3. Relative link to file
    Couldnt check how firefly deals with these entries yet though. That and lyrics etc. Lots of advanced tag options that likely aint really made use of much yet.

Ok, now I try to dig up CCRDudes post.

CCRDude
    Participant

The zero-separated items are standard in ID3v2.4, won’t do harm in ID3v2.3, so it’s no bad choice. As long as you save tags as ID3v2.4, you’ll be fine with this 🙂

Pictures saved within files works quite well with Firefly (iTunes as a client will show them in the “Currently playing” box in the lower left). Haven’t tried links yet – full links are probably a bad idea, relative links /may/ be better (not sure though if the standard recommends anything about the slash vs. backslash thing to make sure Windows-tagged files would still work on a Linux or MacOSX Firefly there).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.