"push" songs to SoundBridge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

would there be a way to, say, “push” songs or rather playlists to a soundbridge unit?

1.)
    I picture a script that selects a given preset, mp3-stream through the SoundBridge’s telnet interface, or whatnot. (not reall familiar with that)
    At best it would be a playlist from a firefly share.

2.)
    I picture a (smart) playlist that gets blatantly inserted into the DB, so that 1.) always ever needed to be able to start a distinct source (playlist, stream, etc), and changes would happen in the backend.

What for?
    I want to be able to use a script to automatically play a certain playlist, without any interaction on the SB or firefly side.
    I want to integrate my firefly / SB into a home automation environment.

CCRDude
    Participant

I can’t open a telnet port to my SB 😯 Was that a guess or is there some trick to get one? πŸ˜‰

What I do find though is the web interface. Which at least allows:
    * Start, Stop, Pause, Forward, Backward
    * Repeat mode, Shuffle mode
    * Volume
    * Title, Album, Artist (see, not select)

So interfacing the HTTP site is not really complicated imho, but everything going beyond that in regards of control would probably need to be already inside the SBs firmware.

A SB (SqueezeBox) is more flexible there in that it can be controlled completely from the server, but on the other hand the server software for it is sooo slow on a NAS that I like my SB (SoundBridge) so much more πŸ˜€

Other methods, like having a dedicated server streaming just one stream that gets combined on the server on the fly is a bit farfechted πŸ˜€ Though maybe you could define a special file type, and as the transcoding script, use a script that would create a stream as wanted… very complicated though, and could not be selected in a fully automated way unless its the only one on the server and you would just need to use the http interface to press play (since its the only one, and even then I wouldnt know if Play on a freshly booted SB would start the first file, or you had to do more first).

fizze
    Participant

When I refer to SB i clearly am talking about a RoKu SoundBridge.

Try to telnet to port 4444. It sais it in the SoundBridge manual, also.
    Theres lots of funky stuff, like ‘draw’ or ‘attract’.

CCRDude
    Participant

Yeah, just found it accidently through that other topic where it was recommended regarding ifconfig πŸ˜‰

At least its not a standard port… I already played around with ‘sketch’… the thing you would be looking for is ‘rpc’ to open the RPC interface though.

There are functions ListNowPlayingQueze as well as NowPlayingClear and NowPlayingInsert, which sounds like exactly what you would need… but without a documentation of the parameters, they would be difficult to implement.
    Also, ListPlaylists doesnt return anything but “Disconnected” (the unit continues to play though) for me, otherwise that would be even better I suppose.
    If you can find a documentation of the RPC commands somewhere, I could try to put something together, I just recently did a small thing for SqueezeBoxes, but never finished since the CLI there crashed all the time.

fizze
    Participant

http://www.rokulabs.com/community_developers.php seems like a good starting point.

Well, I guess if I made a (smart) playlist called ‘#####’ or whatever, and would insert my tunes in there in firefly, and would browse and select it, things would work like expected. great news πŸ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

http://www.rokulabs.com/community_developers.php seems like a good starting point.

Well, I guess if I made a (smart) playlist called ‘#####’ or whatever, and would insert my tunes in there in firefly, and would browse and select it, things would work like expected. great news πŸ™‚

There are half a dozen apps to do just that… At least one is a linux app, but I can’t remember the names of them offhand. (groku?)

They all use the roku control protocol to remotely mange queues.

Probably wouldn’t be difficult to work up a perl library or something.

CCRDude
    Participant

@ron: One point where I would actually imagine to use the RCP is over WLAN on my smartphone. Sadly, the only application for Windows CE is not free and needs to .Net framework… so I might quite possibly attempt a few things in this direction πŸ˜‰
    My library would be Pascal, not Perl though. As platform-independent, but less interpreted πŸ˜€

@fizze
    : I just tried it. An example: create a small text file named “startpl0.txt” with the following contents (important: line break after the last text line):

rcp
    NowPlayingClear
    ServerDisconnect
    ListServers
    ServerConnect 0
    GetConnectedServer
    ListPlaylists
    ListPlaylistSongs 0
    QueueAndPlay 0
    exit
    exit

Then run

telnet w.x.y.z 4444 < startpl0.txt

Will connect to the first server in the available list (just in case the SB isnt connected yet), and play playlist #0 (if you do it manually, you can see what number your desired playlists is after issuing ListPlaylists).
    What I noticed: GetConnectedServer was quite important, the rest should be more or less self-explanatory.

fizze
    Participant

kick-ass πŸ˜‰

Thats easier than I thought. I’ve fiddled a lil with the RCP commands on telnet, but didnt really have much time.

Now such a script through a cron would make a really nice alarm-clock.
    I wouldnt want to start a specific playlist by ID though, I guess a PL search for a special name, prolly starting with @ or # charachter so they are recognized as such playlists would be nice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.