Problems with video in Leopard

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by someone.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m running mt-daapd v1586 on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy). I’ve tried playing video files from iTunes on both my MacBook Pro (Leopard) and a Windows XP machine. In both cases audio works perfectly but video is not played.

I have confirmed that they are being seen correctly as video by following the steps found here: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5458&highlight=leopard+video

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

rpedde
    Participant

@Mainstay wrote:

I’m running mt-daapd v1586 on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy). I’ve tried playing video files from iTunes on both my MacBook Pro (Leopard) and a Windows XP machine. In both cases audio works perfectly but video is not played.

I have confirmed that they are being seen correctly as video by following the steps found here: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5458&highlight=leopard+video

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I’d need a lot more info. What types of files, what they were encoded with, how to ensured they were set for fast-start streaming, if they work okay from itunes locally, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, I have 2 primary files I’ve been using to test, 1 of them is natively .m4v and 1 is .mov. I mention native, because I tried renaming them to .mp4 in attempts to get it to work… but no dice.

All of the files work perfectly from iTunes. In both cases, I was not the one who encoded them, so I’m not sure how they were encoded. And as far as fast-start, I’m pretty sure they are. One of the .m4v is actually a sample from the Darwin Streaming Server, while the other is a .mov clip I found online.

Both of these clips work ok on DSS and it’s my understanding they have to fast-start to work with that system.

If I’ve missed anything let me know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I’ve playing around with this a bit more, and I think the issue may be that all the samples I have are not fast start. I tried installing the server on my Mac (incredibly easy… great job with this), and I have the same problems as before… audio but no video. They play great from iTunes directly, but not from either of the Firefly media servers (Ubuntu or OSX).

I’ve tried the qt-faststart script, and MP4Box on a variety of video clips and neither of those did the trick. Is there a good source for known working samples, or do I just need to bite the bullet and purchase Quicktime Pro?

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@Mainstay wrote:

Well, I’ve playing around with this a bit more, and I think the issue may be that all the samples I have are not fast start. I tried installing the server on my Mac (incredibly easy… great job with this), and I have the same problems as before… audio but no video. They play great from iTunes directly, but not from either of the Firefly media servers (Ubuntu or OSX).

I’ve tried the qt-faststart script, and MP4Box on a variety of video clips and neither of those did the trick. Is there a good source for known working samples, or do I just need to bite the bullet and purchase Quicktime Pro?

Thanks

There are some utilities to move metadata around… I think the mpeg4ip tools can do that, for example. Is the sample you mention available on a public site somewhere?

rachel_greenham

I’m having this problem too. It didn’t manage to play the .mp4 files at all until I did the sqlite3 hack linked to from the page linked to above; now, like the original poster, it does at least (but only) play the audio.

The videos themselves probably weren’t encoded with fast start, as at the time I did so I didn’t think I wanted it. 🙂 I guess I’ll have to start ripping my DVDs again…

BUT – it might be worth saying that these same videos can be shared just fine over iTunes from one Mac to another. They show with the little monitor icon in the library, and they play – albeit after a bit of a delay (presumably because they’re not fast start). So what’s iTunes doing, when sharing, that mt-daapd isn’t, and is it possible to persuade mt-daapd to do it? 🙂

This is not only about .mp4 files; it also applies to actual originally-encoded-as .m4v files – either as output from EyeTV or bought from the iTunes store. Only the audio plays when served out over mt-daapd.

Version numbers:

mt-daapd is from Ubuntu Gutsy: 0.9~r1586-1. The server reports itself as svn-1586.

Server is Ubuntu Gutsy Server, everything up to date.

Clients are both intel Macs; Leopard 10.5.2, iTunes 7.6 (29)

someone

I’m having similar problems with my setup. I’m getting audio, no video, over the firefly stream and would appreciate some help.

The video was encoded in handbrake and works fine on iTunes and on my iPod and iPhone, but doesn’t stream well.

Here are some other specifics:
    The Server is Windows Home Server with Firefly SVN-1586
    The Client is a MacBook Pro with iTunes 7.6.1.x

The file is
    MPEG-4 video
    Bit Rate: 159kbps
    Low Complexity
    Res 640×368
    Codec H.264

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.