Problems with user rights in Windows XP-Pro

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Problems with user rights in Windows XP-Pro

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have Windows XP-Pro (SP2).
    When istalling Firefly (newest nithtly) and Bonjour with Administrator-Rights all is working all right.

But i want to start and stop my Firefly also as non administrator (i use normally mainuser-Rights-Account for me).

For this reason i gave the Firefly.exe (service) and the “Bonjour…exe” with administrator full permission for Groupmembers “mainuser”.
    So i can start and stop the Service for Firefly and Bonjour manually in Windows Service section.
    When I stop Firefly short time after the icon becomes red.
    When I start Firefly short time after the icon becomes yellow.
    BUT:
    When i use the check-button in Fireflys config Tab to start or stop the server firefly reports “can’t stop server” or “can’t start server”

Whicht rights do i have to set manually in Windows XP-Professional to run the Firefly Server as an Member “mainuser”.
    I also gave manually ech file in the Firefly-Directory full permission for main-user-Group Members. This solved the problem neither.

Any idear. Do i have change permissions for some Regedit lines.
    (sorry for my bad english my native language is german)
    Thanks for the tips

fizze
    Participant

‘tach 😉

I don’t think that its a file-permission issue, but more a service / network permission story.
    Firefly spawns a network-enabled service, and “Hauptbenutzer” or local users aren’t allowed to do that.

I’d run the firefly service as local system account, because that’s what it is.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@fizze wrote:

‘tach 😉

Firefly spawns a network-enabled service, and “Hauptbenutzer” or local users aren’t allowed to do that.

Thats clear.
    When Firefly is new installed (as admin) the local user cannot start nor stop the Firefly service manually. (with manually i mean in service-controll-section of Windows)
    When i give the local user-group full “file-permission” to Firefly.exe (the service-programm) i can start and stop (as local user) the service in the Windows-Service section. The color is changing of the Firefly-Icon.
    But when trying to start/stop the Firefly Service within the Firefly-Config-Tab (startet with the Icon) Firefly reports “can’t start/stop server”.

In WMP11 for example the streaming has to be enabled as administrator. When switching on as administrator WMP asks if any user is allowed to stream. As an local user i can afterwards switch on/off the sharing in WMP.

So it must be possible to set the permissions adequad for Firefly as well to run in local user envirement without restriction.

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.