Problems with artwork embedded in .mp3 files

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Problems with artwork embedded in .mp3 files

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    graterje

Hi,

I recently unslung my NSLU2 and installed libid3tag and mt-daapd on it. Things are running fine except ID3 tags of .mp3 files with embedded .jpg artwork are not being decoded properly. Every time I have one of such files, the server shows the filename as song name (filename.mp3) and no information is shown in the other fields. As soon as I remove the artwork, the information is read and displayed properly. For .m4a files I don’t have such problem neither when accessing the files with iTunes.

Any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@graterje wrote:

Hi,

I recently unslung my NSLU2 and installed libid3tag and mt-daapd on it. Things are running fine except ID3 tags of .mp3 files with embedded .jpg artwork are not being decoded properly. Every time I have one of such files, the server shows the filename as song name (filename.mp3) and no information is shown in the other fields. As soon as I remove the artwork, the information is read and displayed properly. For .m4a files I don’t have such problem neither when accessing the files with iTunes.

Any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks!

Bad tagging program maybe? Or bad version of libid3tag? What version of id3 tags are you applying, and what tagger are you using?

graterje

Hi there!

I think that trying to answer your questions I answered mine. By the way, I’m not using libid3tag but libao_0.8.6-1; my wrong. Trying to identify if the problem occurred under different ID3 tag versions I found that my ID3 tags were all v2.4 and converting them to v2.3 will solve the problem. I’ve tried with one file so far, I will keep you posted of my final results. I’m using iTunes 6 for Mac for tagging my files.

Thanks!
    [/quote]

rpedde
    Participant

@graterje wrote:

I found that my ID3 tags were all v2.4 and converting them to v2.3 will solve the problem. I’ve tried with one file so far, I will keep you posted of my final results. I’m using iTunes 6 for Mac for tagging my files.

If you have one that will consistently choke mt-daapd, I’d like to see it. You could mail it to ron at pedde.com.

— Ron

grommet
    Participant

Be aware many ID3v2.4 implementations suck, especially in iTunes. IMHO, if possible (you’re not a foobar2000 fan for tag editing, etc.), stick to ID3v2.3… which is a “de facto” standard.

graterje

Hi,

So far converting all the tags to ID3v2.3 and then adding the artwork is working for me. I will briefly summarize my experience in few lines for future reference to other readers.

-Originally all my .mp3 files were tagged ID3v2.4 with .jpg artworks
    -When setting my Firefly media directory pointing to my .mp3 folder I experienced the problem described at the beginning of the topic.
    -I tried downgrading the tags to ID3v2.3, v2.2 and v1.1 with no success.
    -The tagging problem was solved when I converted the tag format to “None” (using iTunes) and then back to v2.4; losing the artwork for all my .mp3 files.
    -As soon as I tried to add any artwork to my .mp3 files tagged ID3v2.4 the problem reappeared.

The solution was:

With all the artwork removed from my ID3v2.4 tagged files, convert the tags to v2.3; then, add the artwork. Seems that the JPEG-ID3v2.4 combination causes some sort of indigestion to either mt-daapd and/or libao_0.8.6-1.

If you, as me, are using iTunes for importing your CD collection; this software creates ID3v2.2 tags by default in your files. Adding artwork to these files works fine for Firefly and iTunes but in my case not for the Archos AV400 Portable Media Player (and maybe others). So I have to stick to ID3v2.3 tags.

Thank guys for all your help! Especially Ron, you’re doing an amazing job.

nik8

@graterje wrote:

Hi,

I recently unslung my NSLU2 and installed libid3tag and mt-daapd on it. Things are running fine except ID3 tags of .mp3 files with embedded .jpg artwork are not being decoded properly. Every time I have one of such files, the server shows the filename as song name (filename.mp3) and no information is shown in the other fields. ..

I’ve just got mt-daapd working on an NSLU2 also (fine job Ron!!). I’m using iTunes 7.0 and I use Tag&Rename to write IDv2 tags (says in the blurb that is writes v2.3 and 2.4 tags for compatibility. My problem with artwork is that if I load the MP3 direct into iTunes then the artwork is displayed fine but through mt-daapd I get all the other tags except artwork.

thanks for any pointers – I can mail you an offending mp3?

from their help:
    @Tag&Rename wrote:

Tag&Rename have full support for ID3v2 tags including support for ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 (Tag&Rename always write ID3v2.3 tags because of compatibly with other software).

rpedde
    Participant

@nik8 wrote:

I’ve just got mt-daapd working on an NSLU2 also (fine job Ron!!). I’m using iTunes 7.0 and I use Tag&Rename to write IDv2 tags (says in the blurb that is writes v2.3 and 2.4 tags for compatibility. My problem with artwork is that if I load the MP3 direct into iTunes then the artwork is displayed fine but through mt-daapd I get all the other tags except artwork.

When playing remote songs, you can only see the art of songs you are actually streaming. So you have to toggle the art display from “Selected Item” to “Now Playing”, and you should see the art for songs you are streaming.

No real workaround for it — the server (for performance reasons, I guess) doesn’t send artwork when the client connects and fetches the library.

— Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.