Problem installing SVN-1696 under WindowsXP Pro SP3

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Problem installing SVN-1696 under WindowsXP Pro SP3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m running Windows XP Pro SP3, and had a problem installing Firefly Media Server SVN-1696. Specifically, the installer claims to be skipping WindowsInstaller -xxxx, but then executes it. It never returns. When I try to kill the install using the Task Manager, it takes a couple of tries.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

After killing the installation attempt, Firefly is in H:Program FilesFirefly Media Server, but there is no service to start or stop. The taskbar tool says that I need to be an administrator in order to install the software.

If I doubleclick on the file that appeared to hang, WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe, it indicates that the service pack that I am running (Windows XP SP3) is newer than the update I’m trying to install.

When I try to reboot later, it appears that some application that was trying to uncompress files had hung, and I have to kill that process.

fizze
    Participant

Are you a local administrator?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I am a local administrator.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That was a good idea – when I run FireflyShell.exe, the start server button is greyed out, and it tells me that I need to be a local administrator in order to run it.

My computer is not a member of a domain, so “local” is perhaps a misnomer. My user has administrator privileges.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

David

fizze
    Participant

Well you did install Bonjour and the whatnot?
    Can you see in the system / application etc. log for any messages of the installer or firefly?

Has the service been created at least?

What about runnnig firefly manually in the foreground iE through a command prompt window? That should always work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got it!

I turned off my network, turned off Spybot Search & Destroy and Avast Antivirus, and re-ran the installer. It hung in the same place. I started up the Task Manager, and killed the task that the installer was running. The rest of the install process completed successfully.

David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.