Poor Sound Quality

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    S80_UK
    Participant

@richdunlop wrote:

I’m sure that you could pick up an original M1000 on ebay or you may be able to get a refurb M1000 direct from Roku.

Yep – that’s how I got started (a used M1000 from a UK seller on Ebay). Loads of fun (and pleasurable expense) ever since. πŸ˜€

CCRDude
    Participant

Too bad the M1000 doesn’t allow WPA for Wifi if I’m not mistaken?

S80_UK
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

Too bad the M1000 doesn’t allow WPA for Wifi if I’m not mistaken?

Correct – the older platforms which use the compact flash WiFi solution are WEP only. Possible solutions are…
    1) use a wired connection
    2) used a bridge / client mode access point wired to the SB (has the benefit also of allowing 802.11g rather than 802.11b or mixed mode, if that’s an issue, and often provides better WiFi signal range).
    3) use 128 bit WEP on the basis that it’s good enough for domestic needs. (I know it’s hackable if someone wants to try – but there are easier targets out there in the form of unprotected networks set up by non-techy users who buy their routers at the supermarket along with the groceries.)

CCRDude
    Participant

3) People who would be wardriving would go otherwhere anyway, but the network is connected to the office as well, and that one has too many unscrupulous enemies. I wouldn’t even go for WEP with SSID hidden and MAC restrictions.

2) Too bad I’ve got kind of an ecological mind and wouldn’t want the additional “useless” power consumption πŸ˜‰

1) Would probably the best for me… if I had known about this before buying, damn πŸ™„ πŸ˜‰

I currently have two M1001, and a neighbour as well. We’ve planed some experiments for this… recording a LP both in 44,1 kHz and 48 kHz to be able to do some comparison of exactly the same signal on the same hardware. I know audiophiles don’t like these simple 1 vs. 1 comparisons a lot, but for us it’ll be sufficient and we could really compare the same signal in unconverted quality (due to the analogue source).

S80_UK
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

3) People who would be wardriving would go otherwhere anyway, but the network is connected to the office as well, and that one has too many unscrupulous enemies. I wouldn’t even go for WEP with SSID hidden and MAC restrictions.

I use all three of those – and VPN on top for the office stuff but from a different PC.

@CCRDude wrote:

2) Too bad I’ve got kind of an ecological mind and wouldn’t want the additional “useless” power consumption πŸ˜‰

I used a Netgear gaming adaptor for a bridge for a while (but there are cheaper options). It takes about 3 watts, or half what my NSLU2 takes.

@CCRDude wrote:

… if I had known about this before buying, damn πŸ™„ πŸ˜‰

The story of my life! πŸ™„

@CCRDude wrote:

I currently have two M1001, and a neighbour as well. We’ve planed some experiments for this… recording a LP both in 44,1 kHz and 48 kHz to be able to do some comparison of exactly the same signal on the same hardware. I know audiophiles don’t like these simple 1 vs. 1 comparisons a lot, but for us it’ll be sufficient and we could really compare the same signal in unconverted quality (due to the analogue source).

Should be fun – at least you will know where you stand. Hopefully you will find that you don’t need to spend any more money. πŸ˜€

UK Phil
    Participant

For those who are interested I’ve bought a M1000 on eBay and yes it has completely overcome the sound quality problem. There is now no difference between the optical output of my CD player and the M1000, just as it should be. Thanks for your inputs, they were very helpful in resolving this problem. Looks like Roku have excluded themselves from the HiFi market for the moment, interesting design decision!

S80_UK
    Participant

Well done! I am glad that you got there in the end – even if it wasn’t straightforward.

At least now you can enjoy your music again. πŸ™‚

richdunlop
    Participant

@UK Phil wrote:

Looks like Roku have excluded themselves from the HiFi market for the moment, interesting design decision!

Hopefully they’ll take note of the numerous comments they’ve had on their forums. I also won’t be purchasing a new one until they redesign to eliminate the upsampling πŸ˜•

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.