plugin versioning?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

hi Ron,

just upgraded to 1691 from 1671 on my x86 linux box and came across something that might catch out a few ppl if they’re not careful

i seemed to have had the 1671 plugins in /usr/share/mt-daapd/plugins and this was reflected in the /etc cfg file. however, i managed to get 1691’s plugins to be installed in /usr/lib/mt-daapd/plugins

i was careful not to overwrite my system wide cfg so i backed it up and moved it back once i had installed everything via make install, but because my cfg file contained the old plugins dir, the mt-daapd core dumped when it tried loading the ‘older’ plugins — i took a look at the core file and nothing of note and it was only the timestamps of the plugoins that it was loading that made me think something was misnstalled

therefore, would it be possible to put some form of versioning into the plugin shared libs; on *nix, you could set the DT_SONAME to have the version set and you can use the elf handling stuff to get out the value out of the ELF headers to make sure that its the correct version.. this would mean that no calls are made into the shared lib itself and would take care of the scenario i found myself in..

just a thought..
    cheers
    ray

rpedde
    Participant

@whatdoineed2do-again wrote:

therefore, would it be possible to put some form of versioning into the plugin shared libs; on *nix, you could set the DT_SONAME to have the version set and you can use the elf handling stuff to get out the value out of the ELF headers to make sure that its the correct version.. this would mean that no calls are made into the shared lib itself and would take care of the scenario i found myself in..

Yes, I keep meaning to do plugin versioning (well, I already have some, but keep neglecting to bump the version number) so I might just tie it back to the actual package version, which isn’t strictly necessary, but will stop that sort of thing. Of course, then someone will do a third-party type plugin and won’t want to track nightlies, so then I’ll have to come up with something different…

But yeah… I’ll eventually come up with a reasonable solution to fix that.

— Ron

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.