Please confirm firefly iTunes 7.2 client for Mac OSX

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Please confirm firefly iTunes 7.2 client for Mac OSX

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cerasi166
    Participant

I successfully installed firefly today using the latest svn release for the maxtor MSS+ (much nicer than the old mt-daapd). The iTunes server is visible to windows clients running iTunes 6.x and 7.0.x

I also have a mac mini running iTunes 7.2 but it cannot see the mt-daapd server. Two issues come to mind:
    1) the version of iTunes
    2) something wrong with the mac

To eliminate option2, I attached the nas directly to the mac with a cross cable and disabled the firewall on the mac. I can access the mt-daapd web server and all data files on the NAS. Multicast is running as ifconfig reports
    “en0: flags=8863 mtu 1500″

Can someone please confirm if the latest iTunes 7.2 clients on Mac OSX can see the latest version of firefly ?

rpedde
    Participant

@cerasi166 wrote:

I successfully installed firefly today using the latest svn release for the maxtor MSS+ (much nicer than the old mt-daapd). The iTunes server is visible to windows clients running iTunes 6.x and 7.0.x

I also have a mac mini running iTunes 7.2 but it cannot see the mt-daapd server. Two issues come to mind:
    1) the version of iTunes
    2) something wrong with the mac

To eliminate option2, I attached the nas directly to the mac with a cross cable and disabled the firewall on the mac. I can access the mt-daapd web server and all data files on the NAS. Multicast is running as ifconfig reports
    “en0: flags=8863 mtu 1500”

Can someone please confirm if the latest iTunes 7.2 clients on Mac OSX can see the latest version of firefly ?

iTunes 7.2 (34) on 10.4.9 (iMac G5) Versus:

svn-1359 on OSX 10.4.9 (PPC): OK
    svn-1583 on OSX 10.4.9 (Intel): OK
    svn-1586 on Debian “etch” arm: OK
    svn-1586 on Unsung 6.8 (NSLU2): OK
    svn-1601 on Windows 2K3 Small Business Server: OK

My mss is off after a power outage, so I didn’t test it (it’s in a whole ‘nother room!), but I’d guess it’s probably ok.

multicast or firewall issue?

cerasi166
    Participant

Thanks, for future reference I am using mac mini (intel) with OS X 10.4.9 and svn-1586 on the MSS+.

I was able to upgrade to iTunes 7.2.0.35 on the windows client which can see the MSS+ firefly server without any problem.

So nothing wrong with iTunes version and back to the mac. As there is no firewall and a direct connection to the MSS+, the only thing I can think of is that bonjour has been disabled aka the mDNSResponder process.

This is really strange as I just performed a fresh installation of mac OSX after upgrading my hard drive 2 weeks ago and I never disabled it.

I will check this later when I get my hands on the Mac.

cerasi166
    Participant

Still fighting to understand what’s going wrong with my Mac not seeing the firefly server.

mDNSResponder is working. Firewall is disabled.

I even downloaded wireshark for packet analysis. I can see the Mac sending out multicast query packet to 224.0.0.251 on port 5353 (including a query for _daapd._tcp.local which i guess is a hunt for iTunes shared libraries) and the MSS+ directly responding indicating daapd services on port 3689 but I note that the bonjour name in the response is (none).local and then the mac starts looking for some _dacp server

The above suggests that the mac does not understand the response (maybe because of the (none).local). A quick check on Firefly config reveals that bonjour is not running. Is this necessary for mac systems ? How do I start bonjour on the MSS+ ?

cerasi166
    Participant

I’m giving up. Tried everything I could think of, checking firmware updates, re-installing the latest security update and going back to OSX 10.4.9

I’ll just crosss my fingers and wait still someone else comes across the same problem and finds a solution.

rpedde
    Participant

@cerasi166 wrote:

I even downloaded wireshark for packet analysis. I can see the Mac sending out multicast query packet to 224.0.0.251 on port 5353 (including a query for _daapd._tcp.local which i guess is a hunt for iTunes shared libraries) and the MSS+ directly responding indicating daapd services on port 3689 but I note that the bonjour name in the response is (none).local and then the mac starts looking for some _dacp server

Yeah, that sounds kinda fishy. I wonder if that’s a bug in the mss port. I’ll double-check my mss and see what it looks like.

The above suggests that the mac does not understand the response (maybe because of the (none).local). A quick check on Firefly config reveals that bonjour is not running. Is this necessary for mac systems ? How do I start bonjour on the MSS+ ?

That’s a bug… it really is running, or you wouldn’t see the response. One thing that has changed is that I did update the bonjour on the mss build. Maybe it’s conflicting with the built-in bonjour services on the mss.

But then you shouldn’t see it in the other devices…

I’ll investigate some and see what I find out.

— Ron

cerasi166
    Participant

Thanks Ron, your monitoring of this forum is real bonus as it gives hope !

I tried out a few other things, I changed the IP address of my MSS+ and Mac from its static 10.x.x.x address to a new static 192.168.1.x. The mac could see the MSS+ share for a few moments and then it disappeared (?). That trick never worked a second time.

I still think there is something wrong with my Mac. The command: mDNS -B _daap._tcp. local finds nothing on the LAN. I tried disabling all the LAN interfaces and removing the preferences.plist to work from a new “blank sheet”.

I read Apple is due to release 10.4.10, so may be that update will slip something in.

I’ll keep hunting, but if you could cross check with yours it would be great.

rpedde
    Participant

@cerasi166 wrote:

Thanks Ron, your monitoring of this forum is real bonus as it gives hope !

I tried out a few other things, I changed the IP address of my MSS+ and Mac from its static 10.x.x.x address to a new static 192.168.1.x. The mac could see the MSS+ share for a few moments and then it disappeared (?). That trick never worked a second time.

I still think there is something wrong with my Mac. The command: mDNS -B _daap._tcp. local finds nothing on the LAN. I tried disabling all the LAN interfaces and removing the preferences.plist to work from a new “blank sheet”.

I read Apple is due to release 10.4.10, so may be that update will slip something in.

I’ll keep hunting, but if you could cross check with yours it would be great.

k. I just got 1598 installed and running, an it seems to be working.

Anything strange on your setup? Is everything wired, as opposed to wireless? Do you have multiple ip addresses on your mss or mac?

Anything not quite out-of-the box networking-wise?

cerasi166
    Participant

Not doing so good. I upgraded to OSX 10.4.10 (incremental not the combo). I am just using wired connections and just have an ethernet cross to the MSS for debugging. I couldn’t find svn-1588 so I am using svn-1586.

My most recent test involved replacing the MSS by a laptop running iTunes. So the mini is directly connectd to the laptop. I enabled sharing on both systems so they can see each others libraries. The laptop can see the mini’s library but the text label is shaded, the mini can’t see the laptops library.

When i click on the shared library nothing happens and after a timeout, a warning message is displayed (check your firewall!). I confirm both firewalls are disabled.

A wireshark trace (on the mini) shows the laptop trying to connect on port 3689 but the mini doesn’t answer:
    TCP groove-daap > daap [SYN] Seq=0 Len=0 MSS=1460

Then I checked whether the mini is listening on port 3689. Using command “Isof | grep ITunes” I get an entry:
    iTunes 523 John 16u IPv4 0x433d920 0t0 TCP *:daap (LISTEN)

A quick check in /etc/services confirms consistency within the OS:
    daap 3689/udp # Digital Audio Access Protocol
    daap 3689/tcp # Digital Audio Access Protocol

For some strange reason iTunes on the mini is not sharing properly. The OS declares that iTunes is listening on port 3689 but it is not serving incoming requests. So my problem is not with Firefly !

cerasi166
    Participant

Well finally I found a solution to my problem …. the hard way.

On the mini, I occasionally use checkpoint secure client for VPN access to work. Even though I had disabled this client and killed all the relevant processes. iTunes was still not sharing which put me in the wrong direction.

It was only after a complete de-installation and a reboot cycle that the mac was able to perform iTunes sharing.

I must say I am impressed with the Checkpoint stuff, it is worse that getting rid of a very bad flu ! Somehow it takes control of the Mac very early and is impossible to de-activate without complete de-install. It was only after finding the solution that I was able to find the right Google answers such as : http://www.innerexception.com/search/label/SecureClient

Thanks Ron for trying to help me out and I hope this thread will help someone else in the future. Now happily listening to my MSS+ ![/url]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.