Playlists

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ccomley
    Participant

Firefly has recognised all teh Playlists I’ve created in Musicmatch – but it can’t play them. On selecting one of the playlists on the SB M1001, it says “0 items”.

What should a chap use to create a playlist file in a format which Firefly / Soundbridge will recognise?

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

Firefly has recognised all teh Playlists I’ve created in Musicmatch – but it can’t play them. On selecting one of the playlists on the SB M1001, it says “0 items”.

What should a chap use to create a playlist file in a format which Firefly / Soundbridge will recognise?

m3u format would be the best, but it needs to be in relative format, or in a path that the server can find.

The problem is probably that from the perspective of the server, the music files are in a different place than they are from the perspective of your workstation.

If you post a couple lines of your playlist, we could probably narrow it down.

Oh, and also what platform you are running the server on, the client, and where the music is.

— Ron

ccomley
    Participant

The server is an XP box.

The music is stored on a NAS box but there appear to be problems getting any of the servers to “see” that, so for now I’ve set up a duplicate copy of the music files on e:music where E: is an external USB drive local to the XP box running Firefly.

The m3u files created by Musicmatch are just text files listing one track per line. Of course, the filename is reletive to the PC, it can’t be relative for the SoundBridge as the SoundBridge doens’t appea to understand UNC file references – if it *does* then I assume it has the same scope as the XP box.

ccomley
    Participant

Aha – the M3u format is correct but, of course, the ones I already had had the path to the NAS box which Firefly won’t talk to.

I edited one and replaecd the path to the NAS box with the path to the local copy I’ve made of the music data, and… the playlist works perfectly on the Roku!

So it looks like I have a working system. BUT. I’d really like to drive it all of the NAS box instead of having to have a duplicate of all the music and tie up one of my external USB2 drives.

I tried settign the “log in as” paramter in the XP Service config to a user who has access to the NAS, but after re-starting the service I still get the error when putting r: as a music source dir.

I was going to set the “runas” parameter in the CONF file as advised on theRoku forum, but the notes in the CONF file say that parm is not used on Windows and, anyway, I coudln’t see where to put the matching password.

Any clues?

I don’t *think* I can create an account for “administrator” on the NAS box – I’m not sure that the service on XP runs explicitly as “administrator” anyway – I really need to get Firefly to use a specific username/password when accessing the NAS.

Cheers.

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

So it looks like I have a working system. BUT. I’d really like to drive it all of the NAS box instead of having to have a duplicate of all the music and tie up one of my external USB2 drives.

Right. Makes sense.

I tried settign the “log in as” paramter in the XP Service config to a user who has access to the NAS, but after re-starting the service I still get the error when putting r: as a music source dir.

It’s not only that, but it has to be a user with a local account that has teh R drive mapped persistently. For example, if you log on as the user you have specified in the “logon” for that service and the R: drive isn’t automatically mapped, then it won’t work when the service starts up, either.

Safest best is to not use drive mappings, but to use UNC.

Like \serversharemusic…, rather than R:music, if that makes sense.
    You’ll still need to log it on as a user that has read access to those files.

I think if you do that, you’ll be golden.

— Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.