playlists with german umlaut do not work

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion playlists with german umlaut do not work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    goana
    Participant

hi,

I am using firefly svn-1549 at an unslung NSLU2 and a soundbridge M1001. It works nice I am very happy about this setup. But there is one point which do not work properly.

The strange thing is, that when I chose an artist at my soundbridge with an umlaut all works fine. I can see the umlaut at the display of my soundbrigde and the soundbridge play the song.

But when I chose a playlist at my soundbridge containing a song with an umlaut, the soundbridge do not play the song (and the umlaut is displayed as a square at the soundbridge display).

What’s wrong with the playlist? When I use the same playlist with winamp at my pc (winXP, sp2), it works. The playlists are generated with the freeware tool “mp3tag”.

I am very glad about any help.

goana

sonichouse
    Participant

Check to ensure that the playlist is in UTF-8 format, as discussed here http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=950

goana
    Participant

thanks for the reply.

I am using “mp3tag” for generating playlists. In option I have checked “ID3v2.4 UTF-8”. Then, I have generate a new playlist.
    But nothing is changed. The Soundbridge do not play the playlist. Moreover, the umlauts are not shown at the display.

Any ideas?

goana

rpedde
    Participant

@goana wrote:

thanks for the reply.

I am using “mp3tag” for generating playlists. In option I have checked “ID3v2.4 UTF-8”. Then, I have generate a new playlist.
    But nothing is changed. The Soundbridge do not play the playlist. Moreover, the umlauts are not shown at the display.

Any ideas?

goana

It *sounds* like those are in unicode fomat, not utf8. If it works on windows but not on the slug, that’s almost certainly the cause.

Also, it appears that the encoding refers to the encoding of the mp3 tags, not necessarily the playlists.

Try opening the file in a text editor and re-saving it as utf8.

– Ron

goana
    Participant

hi ron,

thanks for your reply.

I have opened the m3u-file in notepad++ and saw that the file is encoded in ANSI – don’t ask me way. After chosing UTF-8, I have re-saved it and re-checked the m3u file with notepad++ if it is really encoded in UTF-8 – and it is.

However, umlauts in the m3u playlist files are still displayed as “?” in the web-interface of firefly. (the soundbridge displayed umlauts as square and do not play the playlist – the display “says” that there are no items).

I am really no expert, but I do not understand why umlauts are displayed and playbacked by my soundbridge when I choose an artist such as “müller” and not when I choose a playlist containing an umlaut.

I am appreciate for any help.

goana

rpedde
    Participant

@goana wrote:

hi ron,

thanks for your reply.

I have opened the m3u-file in notepad++ and saw that the file is encoded in ANSI – don’t ask me way. After chosing UTF-8, I have re-saved it and re-checked the m3u file with notepad++ if it is really encoded in UTF-8 – and it is.

However, umlauts in the m3u playlist files are still displayed as “?” in the web-interface of firefly. (the soundbridge displayed umlauts as square and do not play the playlist – the display “says” that there are no items).

I am really no expert, but I do not understand why umlauts are displayed and playbacked by my soundbridge when I choose an artist such as “müller” and not when I choose a playlist containing an umlaut.

I am appreciate for any help.

goana

I’d have to see the songs3.db and the playlist to figure it out. You can email them to me at [email protected]

— Ron

goana
    Participant

hi ron,

thanks for your help.

I have sent the song3.db and the playlist file with the umlauts to you.

I hope that is enough for you.

I am looking forward to hear something from you

goana

rpedde
    Participant

@goana wrote:

hi ron,

thanks for your help.

I have sent the song3.db and the playlist file with the umlauts to you.

I hope that is enough for you.

I am looking forward to hear something from you

goana

Got it. I’ll take a look at it.

— Ron

goana
    Participant

hi ron,

I am sure that you are very busy with a lot of other things. But did you have any time to look at the files sent to you?

I could not solved yet the problem by myself. Any ideas how to proceed?

regards

goana

rpedde
    Participant

@goana wrote:

hi ron,

I am sure that you are very busy with a lot of other things. But did you have any time to look at the files sent to you?

I could not solved yet the problem by myself. Any ideas how to proceed?

regards

goana

sorry sorry sorry. it’s in your email.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.