Playlist help for a totally new beginner.

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Playlist help for a totally new beginner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rickchic
    Participant

I have a Roku SoundBridge and was using Windows Media Player 11 for my library. Something bad happened, WMP 11 could not see my library anymore, yet the Roku could. Uninstalling and reinstalling netted Roku not seeing the library anymore.

Off a page on the Roku website I saw mention of Firefly. Quickly I was able to get it up and running on the Roku. But I do not know how to create playlists. Some of the discussion topics (make that ALL the topics I have read so far) are above my current (and probably future) knowledge.

Simple question, how do I make playlists so Roku can play them using the Firefly server?

rpedde
    Participant

@rickchic wrote:

I have a Roku SoundBridge and was using Windows Media Player 11 for my library. Something bad happened, WMP 11 could not see my library anymore, yet the Roku could. Uninstalling and reinstalling netted Roku not seeing the library anymore.

Off a page on the Roku website I saw mention of Firefly. Quickly I was able to get it up and running on the Roku. But I do not know how to create playlists. Some of the discussion topics (make that ALL the topics I have read so far) are above my current (and probably future) knowledge.

Simple question, how do I make playlists so Roku can play them using the Firefly server?

Any media player or playlist editor that can save in .m3u format should be able to do it.

So Winamp, Foobar, WMP (if you export as .m3u rather than whatever it wants to save as), as well as any number of playlist-only software should be able to do it.

— Ron

rickchic
    Participant

I didn’t even realize that WMP saved playlists with a non-M3U extension.

I guess the M3Us should be in the directory I pointed Firefly to?[/quote]

rpedde
    Participant

@rickchic wrote:

I didn’t even realize that WMP saved playlists with a non-M3U extension.

I guess the M3Us should be in the directory I pointed Firefly to?

[/quote]

Yup, that would work. If there is an option to save the m3u in “relative” format versus “absolute”, then “relative” would be preferred.

— Ron

rickchic
    Participant

Since I don’t trust WMP anymore I downloaded WinAmp and used it to create playlists. They did not work at first so I searched the forums and found discussions on that topic.

I had to change my playlist format from “Musicxxxyyyaaa.mp3” to “G:Musicxxxyyyaaa.mp3” to get my Roku to see the songs. Now I am happily playing one of the playlists I created.

These forums are very useful. Thanks for the help Ron and to all those who posted on the playlist topic in other forums.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.