Playlist Category Help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking to setup a smart playlist.
    I rip to Apple Lossless and then also create an AAC copy for my ipod.
    I want create playlists that shows just lossless, protected, AAC , purchased.
    On iTunes these categories fall under “kind”. and it works.
    In Firefly there is no “Kind”, only “Type”. “Type” does not work.

Ultimately, I can avoid displaying duplicates on playlists.

Your help will be much appreciated.

rpedde
    Participant

@dirtypriest wrote:

Looking to setup a smart playlist.
    I rip to Apple Lossless and then also create an AAC copy for my ipod.
    I want create playlists that shows just lossless, protected, AAC , purchased.
    On iTunes these categories fall under “kind”. and it works.
    In Firefly there is no “Kind”, only “Type”. “Type” does not work.

Ultimately, I can avoid displaying duplicates on playlists.

Your help will be much appreciated.

This is kind of messy, but it’s partially apple’s fault and partially my fault. Here’s how it breaks down:

Protected AAC: type=m4p, codectype=mp4a, description=”Protected AAC audio file”

Regular AAC: type=m4a, codectype=mp4a, description=”AAC audio file”

Lossless AAC: type=m4a, codectype=alac, description=”AAC audio file”

The apple fault is not having a different codectype for protected aac, and my fault for not having a different description for lossless aac.

So playlist-wise:

Lossless: type=”m4a” and codectype=”alac”
    Protected: type=”m4p”
    AAC: type=”m4a” or type=”m4p”

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the solution!!
    The following are now isolated and work fine:
    1. Lossless – audiophile serving
    2. AAC (ripped, Itunes-protected and itunes purchased/non-drm) – iPod/mp3 player friendly
    3.combo of Lossless and Protected AAC – library without dupes

Still Problematic:
    4. non-DRM AAC purchased from iTunes? Any unique tags here?
    I want to combine this with option 3 above without lumping in the home ripped AAC.

BTW, iTunes can differentiate purchased DRM(protected) and purchased non DRM in the “Kind” field . wondering if there is an option like this in Firefly.

Regardless, a great product and effort from you folks. I am enjoying it on my Infrant NAS![/code]

rpedde
    Participant

@dirtypriest wrote:

Still Problematic:
    4. non-DRM AAC purchased from iTunes? Any unique tags here?
    I want to combine this with option 3 above without lumping in the home ripped AAC.

Nope, can’t tell those apart. In fact, neither can iTunes. If you delete the “Purchased Music” playlists, there’s no way to tell again if an aac is purchased or not, as far as I know. iTunes just drops the file in a static playlist when you buy something. It’s not a smart playlist or anything.

If I was in the position that I wanted to discriminate between the two of them, I’d add grouping or comment info to do so.

BTW, iTunes can differentiate purchased DRM(protected) and purchased non DRM in the “Kind” field . wondering if there is an option like this in Firefly.

Sure. Kind is ‘Protected AAC file’. That’s “Description” in our database. But are you saying you can make a playlist in iTunes to split between purchased aac and non-purchased aac? What do the playlists look like?

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.