Playing firefly stream over computer speakers

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Playing firefly stream over computer speakers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KSun

Does anyone know how to simultaneously (in sync) play the music streaming (via Firefly) on the computer’s speakers? The music is playing fine on my soundbridge m1000, but I’d also like to hear in on the computer.

Thanks!

fizze
    Participant

Hm, no.

Technically this sounds easy, but synching various devices over the network has been a huge feature demand by many many people.

Either this way, or the other way round, having the music in “sync” is going to be very, very, very hard to achieve. I’d say almost impossible. As the cmoputer and also the soundbridge do buffer music.
    If you mean sync to actually be accurate within a few msec, then it is very unlikely to happen.

If some ten seconds dont matter, then this is at least technically possible, and feasable. Still, someone has to come up with a concept and a solution. 😉

mas
    Participant

I would say the only reliable method would entail timestamping packets. As long as their is no protocol support for such a thing its likely impossible.

Example: Try listening to an “on-air” radio station and at the same time tune in to the same station on internet. Easily 2-4s delay!

The only way around such would be delaying all streams by a set time, e.g. 10s, and send all packets timestamped. I dont know any protocol who does this so I think DAAP also wont.

fizze
    Participant

nope.

technically it would have to be a multicast, so it should be possible to have the same hardware, eg 2 soundbridges, running over the same network segment with identical settings to be relativeley in sycn… but I concur mas, DAAP doesnt support this.

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

I would say the only reliable method would entail timestamping packets. As long as their is no protocol support for such a thing its likely impossible.

Example: Try listening to an “on-air” radio station and at the same time tune in to the same station on internet. Easily 2-4s delay!

The only way around such would be delaying all streams by a set time, e.g. 10s, and send all packets timestamped. I dont know any protocol who does this so I think DAAP also wont.

The cheesy soundbridge solution to this is to let everyone fill their buffers and send a start command to all of them simultaneously, and figure that even with buffering, the songs will play essentially at the same time.

You could jigger that a little with ntp-style rtt estimations and stagger start times to compensate for wired vs. wireless or whatever, but that’s probably the easiest, cheesiest way to do it.

Some of the tech people at Roku seem interested in at least taking a stab at it, but implementing something like that would require work on the client-side, so it would be roku’s decision to work toward something like this.

I think it would be neat, though.

— Ron

richdunlop
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Some of the tech people at Roku seem interested in at least taking a stab at it, but implementing something like that would require work on the client-side, so it would be roku’s decision to work toward something like this.

I think it would be neat, though.

For me, it’s the killer feature. My friend has a Sonos setup and having music sync’d round the house is very, very cool. Particularly at parties. The trouble is the cost. I keep hoping that Roku will do something on this front and was hopeful that RSP might give them a route…

CCRDude
    Participant

With the Squeezebox and Slimserver, it’s somehow possible. Not sure how much in sync they are, I’ve read reports from good to bad. The Soundbridge can also see a Slimserver installation, but I’m not sure if that isn’t just some very basic access and could be sync’ed like Squeezeboxes.

Another thing, since what was mentioned was “on the same computer” in addition to the Soundbridge: what about misusing transcoding to use a split copy of the stream to output directly? As long as there are no timeouts on the Soundbridge and if it is possible at all to pipe a stream to two destinations with simple methods…

mas
    Participant

No idea how the squeezes will do it but probably there isnt a real sync so the streams drift apart over time which would explain the different reports.
    Getting it to start in sync is always easier then keeping it in sync.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.