:?: pc interface

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    msquito

Hi all, first a couple disclaimers – I have searched archive a bit but am not sure really how to phrase my search parameters and secondly I am not real savvy on all the coding etc one can get involved in here so please bear with me…

Ok, I recently installed Firefly to replace SlimServer which I was running on my win2kpro machine and serving to a Roku SB1000. It worked fine and all but was jazzed about the possibilities of firefly being designed specifically to work with the SB whereas there were some funky things with Slim that I didn’t like (or have the patience to try and figure out workarounds). That said I blindly tinkered a little here and there and have gotten firefly working beautifly (couldn’t be that hard if I was able to dial it in as quickly as I did while admittedly knowing !#^$-all about what I was doing). The one thing that I do miss from the SlimServer setup though is a computer (ie in that case) interface to control the SB. Am I missing one that’s available for Firefly or is it just not available? I’m looking at implementing this at the office and would really like to be able to control it from my desk vs. having to get up and trapse my lazy butt over there and do it at the rack. Any help greatly appreciated

tia
    msquito

rpedde
    Participant

@msquito wrote:

The one thing that I do miss from the SlimServer setup though is a computer (ie in that case) interface to control the SB. Am I missing one that’s available for Firefly or is it just not available? I’m looking at implementing this at the office and would really like to be able to control it from my desk vs. having to get up and trapse my lazy butt over there and do it at the rack. Any help greatly appreciated

Not really. Part of the problem is the fact that the iTunes server (firefly) is really just a file server of sorts — the client is the one responsible for determining what to play.

That said, there are some apps that can remote control the roku to help it choose music better, and build playlists on the roku side. For unix, I know of “groku”, but I don’t know any windows ones (not that there aren’t, I’m sure there are, just that I’m more a mac/unix person than windows person, so I haven’t looked specifically for it on windows).

Anyone know what some of them might be?

Ah… wait, here is a page that might have some stuff that might help:

http://www.rokulabs.com/community/sbthirdparty/index.php

— Ron

msquito

Thanks, I’ll dive into that and see what I can find – still a windows user at this point…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.