You are here: Home » Topic » Optware ipkg installing stable and ignoring nightly svn

Optware ipkg installing stable and ignoring nightly svn

FireFly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Optware ipkg installing stable and ignoring nightly svn

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  stretch 9 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have installed mt-daapd on my Western Digital My Book World Edition (MBWE), but it seems to be the stable version. I want the svn version since I want iTunes XML (ratings) to be picked up, and any compatibility hassles with recent version of iTunes (e.g. 7.6 or 8.x) to be ironed out too…

I started by adding firefly.conf to the optware sources:

# mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkg
    # echo "src firefly http://ipkg.fireflymediaserver.org/armeb" > /opt/etc/ipkg/firefly.conf
    # ipkg update

If I look for mt-daapd I see both versions (from optware stable and from the new nightlies source):

# ipkg list mt-daapd
    mt-daapd - 0.2.4.2-1 - A multi-threaded DAAP server for Linux and other POSIX type systems. Allows a Linux box to share audio files with iTunes users
    mt-daapd - svn-1586-1 - A multi-threaded DAAP server for Linux and other POSIX type systems. Allows a Linux box to share audio files with iTunes users

I then install via ‘ipkg install mt-daapd’ but the stable 0.2.4.2-1 gets installed:

# ipkg list_installed
    findutils - 4.2.32-1 - File finding utilities
    gdbm - 1.8.3-2 - GNU dbm is a set of database routines that use extensible hashing. It works similar to the standard UNIX dbm routines.
    htop - 0.8.1-1 - An interactive process viewer.
    libid3tag - 0.15.1b-1 - The library used for ID3 tag reading
    mt-daapd - 0.2.4.2-1 - A multi-threaded DAAP server for Linux and other POSIX type systems. Allows a Linux box to share audio files with iTunes users
    ncurses - 5.6-3 - NCurses libraries
    screen - 4.0.3-2 - A screen manager that supports multiple logins on single terminal
    termcap - 1.3.1-2 - Terminal emulation library
    unzip - 5.52-3 - A (de)compression library for the ZIP format
    zip - 2.32-1 - a compression and file packaging utility.
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
    Successfully terminated.

How can I force it to install svn-1586-1? Even downloading the ipk and specifying it as the argument seems to result in the stable version being installed instead.

fizze
    Participant

Yeah, thats the problem with the feed.

I’ve alwayas just downloaded the ipkg using wget, and then used

ipkg install /path/to/mt-daapd.ipk 

withour any problems. πŸ˜‰

Anonymous

@fizze wrote:

Yeah, thats the problem with the feed.

I’ve alwayas just downloaded the ipkg using wget, and then used

ipkg install /path/to/mt-daapd.ipk 

withour any problems. πŸ˜‰

Unfortunately I tried that too:

# ls -slap | grep daap
    692 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 704098 Oct 7 11:43 mt-daapd_svn-1586-1_arm.ipk
    # ipkg install -force-overwrite ./mt-daapd_svn-1586-1_arm.ipk
    Clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=mt-daapd (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)
    Package mt-daapd (0.2.4.2-1) installed in /opt/ is up to date.
    Nothing to be done
    Successfully terminated.

So it seems to think 0.2.4.2-1 is the latest version and doesn’t want to install svn-1586-1 even though I specified the file on the command line!

fizze
    Participant

yes. uninstall mt-daapd 0.2.4 first.

I have never even installed it from the real feeds. Since updates are scarce, you should be fine with the “static” file πŸ˜‰

Anonymous

@fizze wrote:

yes. uninstall mt-daapd 0.2.4 first.

I have never even installed it from the real feeds. Since updates are scarce, you should be fine with the “static” file πŸ˜‰

Ok it was worth a shot, but no cigar (unfortunately!):

# ipkg remove mt-daapd
    Removing package mt-daapd from /opt/...
    killall: mt-daapd: no process killed
    prerm script returned status 1
    Successfully terminated.
    [[email protected] ~]# ipkg install ./mt-daapd_svn-1586-1_arm.ipk
    Clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=mt-daapd (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)
    Installing mt-daapd (0.2.4.2-1) to /opt/...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/mt-daapd_0.2.4.2-1_arm.ipk
    Configuring mt-daapd

To complete this installation, make any necessary changes
    to the config file in /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf, and
    start the daemon by running /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd

Successfully terminated.

Look like I’m still stuck with 0.2.4.2-1!

stretch
    Participant

Have you tried this?

From the wiki:

Installing a nightly build

To do this, you need to tell the slug about the software feed from fireflymediaserver.org. To do this telnet into your slug and enter the following command

# echo “src firefly http://ipkg.fireflymediaserver.org/armeb” > /etc/ipkg/firefly.conf

If the above command fails then check that your slug’s DNS and gateway settings are valid via the web interface. Now enter the command

# ipkg update

Now enter the command

# ipkg install mt-daapd

That’s it!

fizze
    Participant

Yes, he did. *cough* Post 1 *cough* πŸ˜‰

Well now thats weird. Sadly my slug has died on me so I can’t test ipkg’s behaviour. IIRC you don’t need another switch to force ipkg to install a local ipkg?

Anonymous

Hmmm here is something that might help get to the bottom of it. I tried commenting out the optware source in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf, so that only the source from firefly.conf was available.

After an ‘ipkg update‘, I did and ‘ipkg list‘ to see what was available, but both versions are there!

# ipkg list
    findutils - 4.2.32-1 -
    gdbm - 1.8.3-2 -
    htop - 0.8.1-1 -
    libao - 0.8.6-1 - libao is a cross-platform audio library that allows programs to output audio using a simple API on a wide variety of platforms.
    libid3tag - 0.15.1b-1 -
    mt-daapd - svn-1586-1 - A multi-threaded DAAP server for Linux and other POSIX type systems. Allows a Linux box to share audio files with iTunes users
    ncurses - 5.6-3 -
    screen - 4.0.3-2 -
    termcap - 1.3.1-2 -
    unzip - 5.52-3 -
    zip - 2.32-1 -
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 -
    Successfully terminated.

So I then removed my current version: ‘ipkg remove mt-daapd‘ and now if I do the ‘ipkg list‘, the stable (0.2.4.2-1) is gone. I then try to install it again and get:

# ipkg install mt-daapd
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package mt-daapd.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'

Even though if I do the ‘ipkg list‘ I still get it in there:

# ipkg list
    findutils - 4.2.32-1 -
    gdbm - 1.8.3-2 -
    htop - 0.8.1-1 -
    libao - 0.8.6-1 - libao is a cross-platform audio library that allows programs to output audio using a simple API on a wide variety of platforms.
    libid3tag - 0.15.1b-1 -
    ncurses - 5.6-3 -
    screen - 4.0.3-2 -
    termcap - 1.3.1-2 -
    unzip - 5.52-3 -
    zip - 2.32-1 -
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 -
    Successfully terminated.

How confusing!

fizze
    Participant

What does

ipkg list_installed

say?

stretch
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Yes, he did. *cough* Post 1 *cough* πŸ˜‰

Well now thats weird. Sadly my slug has died on me so I can’t test ipkg’s behaviour. IIRC you don’t need another switch to force ipkg to install a local ipkg?

😳 missed that bit, must be time to have my eye’s tested again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.