on the fly conversion doesnt work

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

Well the problem is iTunes does NOT play it as well. I had only used GIT as I didnt have iTunes on the other PC.

iTunes sees this (properties):
    Type: wav-audio (remote) [entfernt in german, I think it means remote as it shows the same for mpeg files which do play]
    Stream: 1408 kbit/sec
    Rate: 44,100 kHz
    Changed: 10.12. etc

BTW if the names look strange I translated this from German iTunes interface. But it gives these values. Doesnt show an error but simply doesnt play.I can even jump to a position but it does nothing, no sound and progress bar doesnt advance.

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

Well the problem is iTunes does NOT play it as well. I had only used GIT as I didnt have iTunes on the other PC.

iTunes sees this (properties):
    Type: wav-audio (remote) [entfernt in german, I think it means remote as it shows the same for mpeg files which do play]
    Stream: 1408 kbit/sec
    Rate: 44,100 kHz
    Changed: 10.12. etc

BTW if the names look strange I translated this from German iTunes interface. But it gives these values. Doesnt show an error but simply doesnt play.I can even jump to a position but it does nothing, no sound and progress bar doesnt advance.

If you do “oggdec” on the nslu2, does it say:

OggDec 1.0 (Tremor)

Specifically, does it mention Tremor? If not, then you want to uninstall vorbis-tools and install ivorbis-tools. You should have ivorbis-tools though — it’s a prereq for nightlies and conflicts with vorbis-tools.

Unless I botched the conflicts and requires or something.

mas
    Participant

This is the output of oggdec:

oggdec
    OggDec 1.0 (Tremor)
    Usage: oggdec [flags] file1.ogg [file2.ogg … fileN.ogg]

Supported flags:
    –quiet, -Q Quiet mode. No console output.
    –help, -h Produce this help message.
    –version, -v Print out version number.
    –raw, -R Raw (headerless) output.
    –output, -o Output to given filename. May only be used
    if there is only one input file

This is installed (all with vorbis in name thats installed):

ivorbis-tools 1.0-2 1.0-2 Tools to allow you to play, encode, and manage Ogg Vorbis files. This version is hacked to use the Tremor integer decoder. delete

libvorbis 1.1.2-3 1.1.2-3 Ogg Vorbis compressed audio format. delete

libvorbisidec cvs-20050221-2 cvs-20050221-2 libvorbisidec is the integer-only ogg decoder library, AKA Tremor delete

The normal vorbis-tools is also listed in the package list but not installed. As it should if I understand you right.

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

The normal vorbis-tools is also listed in the package list but not installed. As it should if I understand you right.

Correct. Everything looks right. You have the right packages, it works by hand…. I can’t even think of what might be wrong.

Well, one last thing, I guess… you could su to “nobody” and run the program like that. I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work, but that’s the only thing that’s different. If that doesn’t work, I can’t imagine what it could be.

Everything looks right.

mas
    Participant

Hehe Ron,

that su nobody is a problem. I have busybox installed here and it seems that stupid thing has no su installed. This is what a su gives:

# su
    TinyLogin v0.80 (2004.09.28-10:25+0000) multi-call binary — GPL2

Usage: tinylogin [function] [arguments]…
    or: [function] [arguments]…

TinyLogin is a multi-call binary that combines several tiny Unix
    utilities for handling logins, user authentication, changing passwords,
    and otherwise maintaining users and groups on an embedded system. Most
    people will create a link to TinyLogin for each function they wish to
    use, and TinyLogin will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
    tinylogin, getty, login, passwd

The mt-daapd seem also not to run as nobody but as guest – ps gives:

19354 guest 504 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    19355 guest 2120 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    19356 guest 2120 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    19357 guest 2120 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    19359 guest 2120 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    19665 guest 2120 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    19736 guest 2120 S N /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

You think that could be the problem?

fizze
    Participant

oh, it seems there is quite a lot of packages you didnt install.

like procps, core-utils, etc 😉

the ipkg search utility on nslu2-linux.org will become a good friend of yours, I think 🙂

mas
    Participant

Well yes this is a production / use system running unslung 6.7 and busybox!

The packages that you list are the feature rich heavy load parts that busybox provides smaller versions for. That beeing said the search function is no help as these would conflict with busybox and are deliberately not installed.

Unless you want to do development and/or native compiling the busybox utils should work fine with everything.

bash is installed btw as I didnt wanna have the ash/bash problems with scripts.

Installed currently:
    alac-decoder – 0.1.0-2 – A decoder for the apple lossless file format
    audiofile – 0.2.6-4 – Misc Audio Libraries.
    bash – 3.2-1 – A bourne style shell
    busybox – 1.1.3-3 – A userland replacement for embedded systems.
    busybox-base – 1.1.3-3 – A userland replacement for embedded systems.
    busybox-links – 1.1.3-3 – A userland replacement for embedded systems.
    cpio – 2.6-3 – file archive utility
    ctcs – 1.2-6 – CTorrent Control Server (CTCS) is an interface for monitoring and managing Enhanced CTorrent clients
    enhanced-ctorrent – dnh2.2-6 – Enhanced CTorrent is a revised version of CTorrent
    expat – 2.0.0-5 – XML Parser library
    ffmpeg – 0.4.9-pre1+r5834-2 – FFmpeg is an audio/video conversion tool.
    file – 4.18-1 – Ubiquitous file identification utility.
    flac – 1.1.2-4 – FLAC is a free lossless audio codec. This package contains the codec libraries and the command-line tools flac and metaflac.
    gdbm – 1.8.3-2 – GNU dbm is a set of database routines that use extensible hashing. It works similar to the standard UNIX dbm routines.
    gnutls – 1.6.0-1 – GNU Transport Layer Security Library.
    groff – 1.19.1-5 – front-end for the groff document formatting system
    id3lib – 3.8.3-1 – Library for reading, writing, and manipulating ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.
    ipkg – 0.99.154-r2 –
    ipkg-web – 5-5 – A web frontend for ipkg
    ivorbis-tools – 1.0-2 – Tools to allow you to play, encode, and manage Ogg Vorbis files. This version is hacked to use the Tremor integer decoder.
    kernel – 2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10 –
    kernel-image-2.4.22-xfs – 2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10 –
    kernel-module-nls-cp850 – 2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10 –
    ldconfig – 2.2.5-1 – Builds ld.so.cache, which is used to speed up dynamic linking and to configure a system-wide library search path.
    less – 394-3 – Less file browser
    libao – 0.8.6-1 – libao is a cross-platform audio library that allows programs to output audio using a simple API on a wide variety of platforms.
    libc6-unslung – 2.2.5-r5 –
    libcurl – 7.16.0-2 – Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
    libdb – 4.2.52-3 – Berkeley DB Libraries
    libgcc – 3.4.4-r3 –
    libgcrypt – 1.2.3-1 – GNU cryptography libray, needed by gnutls
    libgpg-error – 1.1-1 – Error handling library for libgcrypt
    libid3tag – 0.15.1b-1 – The library used for ID3 tag reading
    libipkg – 0.99.154-r2 –
    libmad – 0.15.1b-2 – MPEG Audio Decoder library
    libmemcache – 1.4.0.rc2-2 – The C API for memcached.
    libnsl – 2.2.5-3 – Network Services Library
    libogg – 1.1.3-2 – Ogg is a multimedia container format.
    libstdc++ – 5.0.7-4 – Standard C++ library, needed for dynamically linked C++ programs
    libtasn1 – 0.3.8-1 – Describe libtasn1 here.
    libtool – 1.5.10-2 – Library tools.
    libvorbis – 1.1.2-3 – Ogg Vorbis compressed audio format.
    libvorbisidec – cvs-20050221-2 – libvorbisidec is the integer-only ogg decoder library, AKA Tremor
    libxml2 – 2.6.27-1 – Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed for the Gnome project.
    libxslt – 1.1.15-6 – An XML Stylesheet processor based on libxml2
    lsof – 4.77.dfsg.1-1 – LiSt Open Files – a diagnostic tool.
    man – 1.5p-4 – unix manual page reader
    man-pages – 2.33-3 – unix manual pages
    mt-daapd – svn-1433-1 – A multi-threaded DAAP server for Linux and other POSIX type systems. Allows a Linux box to share audio files with iTunes users
    mtr – 0.72-1 – mtr combines the functionality of the ‘traceroute’ and ‘ping’ programs in a single network diagnostic tool.
    nano – 2.0.1-2 – A pico like editor
    ncurses – 5.5-1 – NCurses libraries
    ncursesw – 5.5-1 – NCurses libraries with wide char support.
    nload – 0.6.0-2 – Nload is a console application which monitors network traffic and bandwidth usage in real time
    nslu2-linksys-libs – 2.3r63-r2 –
    ntpclient – 2003_194-3 – Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and time
    openssh – 4.3p2-6 – a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssl – 0.9.7l-1 – Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    pcre – 6.7-2 – Perl-compatible regular expression library
    perl – 5.8.8-11 – Practical Extraction and Report Language.
    perl-dbd-sqlite – 1.12-1 – The Perl Database Driver for SQLITE.
    perl-dbi – 1.53-1 – DBI – The Perl Database Interface by Tim Bunce.
    perl-digest-hmac – 1.01-4 – The module allows you to use the NIST SHA-1 message digest algorithm.
    perl-digest-sha1 – 2.11-2 – The module allows you to use the NIST SHA-1 message digest algorithm.
    perl-html-parser – 3.55-2 – A collection of modules that parse and extract information from HTML documents.
    perl-html-tagset – 3.04-4 – This module contains data tables useful in dealing with HTML.
    perl-net-dns – 0.48-4 – Perl DNS Resolver Module.
    psutils – p17-1 – Describe psutils here.
    rdate – 1.4-2 – Using RFC868, retrieves a remote date and time and sets the local time
    readline – 5.2-1 – The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    slingbox – 1.00-r8 –
    sqlite – 3.3.8-1 – SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained, embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine.
    sqlite2 – 2.8.16-1 – SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained, embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine.
    unarj – 2.65-1 – unarj – An uncompressor for .arj format archive files
    unrar – 3.6.5-1 – unrar is an application that can decompress files and archives created using the RAR compression scheme
    unslung-feeds – 3.0-1 – A list of sanctioned Unslung package feeds.
    unslung-rootfs – 2.3r63-r11 –
    update-modules – 1.0-r4 –
    wget-ssl – 1.10.2-3 – A network utility to retrieve files from the Web
    xvid – 20060306-1 – Xvid is MPEG4 codec
    zip – 2.32-1 – a compression and file packaging utility.
    zlib – 1.2.3-1 – zlib is a library implementing the ‘deflate’ compression system.

Thats already a lot and more than it should be hehe.

mas
    Participant

I have in the meantime done a ipkg -force-overwrite -force-depends on the core-utils, ps-utils etc. package to force it to partially overwrite the busybox.

The fatter utils seem to work via the shell (taking precedence over the busybox links) but no difference on the playback front.

I tend to think its a rather rare issue with the version I run possibly. Guess best is to wait till the ipkg distripoint on fireflymediaserver.org for the armb distribution is updated and then see it the problem prevails with a top new svs version.

Give me a hump once there is a new version in the ipkg list.

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

Give me a hump once there is a new version in the ipkg list.

I will, but I don’t imagine it will change much. The script based transcoding on the slug packages hasn’t changed in a year or so, and I haven’t had any problems with it *ever* not working out of the box.

There is something very strange going on. Everything you’ve described shows it cannot *not* work, so I have absolutely no idea what would be going wrong here.

Whatever it is, it probably won’t be fixed though, since I have no idea what isn’t working with it. And consequently can’t fix it. Have you watched it with ethereal? Is it actually sending data?

mas
    Participant

I will have a look with a packet sniffer once I am back from xmas vacation.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.