ogg vorbis transcoding problem : frequent reloading

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion ogg vorbis transcoding problem : frequent reloading

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi to all,

I’m using the latest Firefly stable version on Kubuntu Linux, with a laptop equipped with a 1.8GHz AMD Mobile Sempron 3000+, using a recent 802.11n router (i.e. D-Link DIR-625). Firefly is used to stream to a Roku Soundbridge M1001.

Everything goes well, except that I do have some frequent (but intermittent) “reloading” problem when transcoding ogg files, i.e. song stops and the Soundbridge shows a message saying that it is reloading the song, then the song restarts.

I know that transcoding requires “heavy” (relatively speaking) usage of CPU and that this problem may be caused by an insufficient CPU power on my laptop. It could also be related to a poor wireless connection (since transcoding implies streaming WAV files, AFAIK), but I doubt it is the case since my connection seems really solid for all other purposes…

These possible causes taken apart, I was wondering if there is some tweaking I can do (in the Firefly transcoding script or elsewhere) to smooth the transcoding process and avoid this reload process…

Thanks for your help.

S80_UK
    Participant

Hi,

Almost always, rebuffering activity is a result of a poor network environment. This is always made more apparent when playing material which is transcoded to WAV on the server due to the higher bit rate for the audio data being sent. Unless your laptop is doing lots of other stuff it is very unlikely to be responsible. Ogg does require more processing power than codecs like FLAC, but not normally enough to cause problems.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your reply.

I have continued my investigation on this issue in Roku and Firefly forums (I should have talked about “rebuffering” instead of “reloading” problems…) and I think you’re right. The cause is not related to insufficient CPU power but to network problems or limitations. The fact that I’m relying on a completely wireless system (i.e. the laptop is wirelessly linked to the router, wich is wirelessly linked to the Soundbridge) probably explains why I’m experiencing the rebuffering problem. I suppose that on a completely (or even partially) cabled network system, this problem would not occur or, at least, not so often…

Now, from what I understand, I guess that untill Roku decides/is able to provide native ogg support on the Soundbridge (that’s what I hope, with many others – see Roku forums), I could consider one of these solutions:

– Trying to improve my network connection, one way or the other (relying on cable instead of wifi; putting the Soundbridge closer to the router; etc.) ;

– Trying to make Firefly to transcode to mp3 instead of wav, which appears theorically possible, but practically difficult (there is some threads in Firefly forums on this…);

Now, does someone knows if the implementation of a “transcoding to mp3” feature is seriously considered for future Firefly developments? Also, any clue on other things I can try to solve my rebuffering problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

cromei
    Participant

The fact that I’m relying on a completely wireless system (i.e. the laptop is wirelessly linked to the router, wich is wirelessly linked to the Soundbridge) probably explains why I’m experiencing the rebuffering problem.

Ouch, double wireless hop is very bad… However, I wonder if you used a wireless N bridge for the ROKU if that might have enough bandwidth to deal with the double wireless hop…

Craig

Anonymous
    Inactive

FWIW, I’ve had to switch to a wired connection to my Soundbridge. Even with the SoundBridge sitting next to my router, it was having the rebuffering problem. Since I ran cable to the SoundBridge, it’s generally worked pretty well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.