Off-Topic Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    greenleaf
    Participant

I have an off-topic question that perhaps someone here can help me with. I have Gallery installed on my Linux server, after having that recommended for photo sharing between the few machines I have at home. I’ve been wanting to add some functionality to Gallery that Firefly has, mainly the ability to find new files and add them to the database. The problem is, I know next to nothing about how this works, and every time I ask for assistance in the Gallery forums my post just gets ignored.

If anyone here could show me how to have the database scan the directory where my pictures are stored and add any new ones to the database, it would be much appreciated. I’ve got Gallery2.2 with MySQL as the database back-end.

Thanks in advance[/url]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Check out http://justinsomnia.org/2007/05/gallery-command-line-uploader/

He’s created a Linux equivalent to the Gallery Remote application that will upload from a Win machine. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it might stimulate a few new ideas about how to get the task done.

I was thinking it would be simple to call the Admin function to import a folder using a CRON job, but it doesn’t look like Gallery or Coppermine (which I prefer) have the ability to do that.

EVILRipper
    Participant

The database doesn’t scan. The program scans, and adds it to the database.
    However, to add this functionality, you do need some pretty decent programming skills. Even more difficult when you want to “add” this functionality to an already existing program which is not yours.

Next to that, another way is to write something which has nothing to do with Gallery. Something that only scans a certain dir and adds new files to a database. Like the post above suggested, this little program could be entered into a cronjob to be run automatically by your system under a time interval. (each hour, each day, etc)

I must say, a single program that scans a dir and adds new files to the db, should be pretty easy. Even for a beginner. Google for it. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.