NSLU2/Firefly setup problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have gone down the slug route and have the following setup:

Unslung to usb flash drive on disk 1 (Kingston 1gb data traveller II) , with a WD Mybook HD on disk 2. Unslung went fine and I can telnet into it no problem. I followed rich dunlop’s instructions and have installed firefly and can access it via the web interface and it shows as a share in itunes.

Problem 1: I cannot edit & save the config file using my preferred text editor which is textwrangler (error – insufficient priveliges). So 2 questions here – do I have a permissions issue? I had run this as per the NSLU2-Linux /mt-daapd wiki:

Run ‘chmod o+r -R /share/hdd/data/public/mp3’ to make sure the server has permissions to read your music files.
    Run ‘/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd’ to re-start the server.

I changed /hdd/ to /flash/ since my OS is on the flash drive. As far as I can tell this doesn’t appear to have worked.

so my second question follows on…: can I only edit the config file in a terminal window or can I use an app-based editor like textwrangler?

Problem 2 is the killer since I can’t currently access my music at all via the slug. The background is (and apologies for the detail but I hope it will help someone get me on the straight and narrow…):

Admin 1 – RW priveliges
    Disk 1 – admin, everyone RW
    Admin 2 (Disk2) RW
    Disk 2 (disk2) – admin, everyone RW
    mp3 (disk2) – admin, everyone RW

I can ‘access’ the above shares, but I cannot seem to ‘browse’ them.

Connecting to the shares as servers this is what I see:

Admin 1 – the OS obviously – to confirm – opt/etc/mt-daapd has the .conf file
    Admin 2 – mp3 folder with a further folder containing some tunes – the folder is called ‘[Love] Tattoo copy’ (I have just copied one folder of music so far until I get the system running as it should.
    mt-daapd folder with songs.db file
    public folder with the [Love] Tattoo copy folder
    Disk 2 – has the [Love] Tattoo copy folder
    mp3 – has the [Love] Tattoo copy folder

Into the web config page and as I understand it I should be pointing firefly to /share/flash/data/mp3. When I try to save changes I get an error500mp3_dir which I guess means the path is incorrect. I have also tried /share/flash/data/public/mp3 with the same error.

What am I doing wrong? As a linux idiot I am wasting way too much time going round in circles without really knowing what I’m doing. Trial & error hasn’t solved my problems!

And whilst I’m posting this, when I do get it all up and running (‘cos I know someone’s going to sort me out πŸ˜› ) where would I be putting my itunes xml file? On the mac it sits one level above the ‘music’ folder. Where would I be putting it on the slug?

cheers, andy πŸ˜•

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

I have gone down the slug route and have the following setup:

Sounds like permissions are hosed.

First, reset the permissions to default:

ssh into the box, and do something like:

$ chown -R admin:everyone /share/flash/data/public
    $ find /share/flash/data/public -type d -exec chmod 775 {} ;
    $ find /share/flash/data/public -type f -exec chmod 664 {} ;

that should put you back to default permissions on DISK 2.

Now, mount DISK 2. Make a folder in it called mp3, and drop a couple mp3 files in it via SMB.

Then web to the config page of the firefly server and set your mp3_dir to “/share/flash/data/public/mp3”

Then do a manual scan, and see if it comes up. It should. Then, just copy the rest of your stuff to the mp3 directory.

If you are copying from an iTunes database, you’ll have a folder (iTunes) that has all the artists in it. Drop your ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ file in there, and it will get scanned.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the swift reply Ron. Nothing doing though…

here’s the telnet window:

Last login: Sun May 13 22:45:22 on ttyp2
    Welcome to Darwin!
    G5:~ andyg$ telnet 192.168.2.77
    Trying 192.168.2.77…
    Connected to 192.168.2.77.
    Escape character is ‘^]’.

LKG38C863 login:
    Password:

Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG

BusyBox v0.60.4 (2005.03.22-06:52+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# chown -R admin:everyone /share/flash/data/public
    # find /share/flash/data/public -type d -exec chmod 775 {} ;
    # find /share/flash/data/public -type f -exec chmod 664 {} ;
    #

as per the rest of your reply

did as directed, and at first it looked like the config mp3_dir saved, but immediately it went to the error – it doesn’t stay up for long but I assume it was the same error500 again. At any rate, nothing showing in the itunes share.

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

did as directed, and at first it looked like the config mp3_dir saved, but immediately it went to the error – it doesn’t stay up for long but I assume it was the same error500 again. At any rate, nothing showing in the itunes share.

Hmm.. depends on the error, but it might be a typo on the path (verify that that path really exists via telnet), and also it might be the onfig file not writable. Can fix that with:

$ chmod 666 /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

This is really only secure if you are the only person that logs into the slug — i.e. you aren’t using it as a multiuser device, but I’d guess that to be the case.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

well,it seems to have worked. the config file was editable/saveable & after deleting the mp3 folder and making a new one & bunging some stuff into it, the tracks show on the itunes share.

To be honest, apart from changing the permissions I don’t completely understand what changed to make the share show up but it is now streaming to the soundbridge.

a little later… transferred my entire itunes collection (100gb) to the mp3 share (to save time, I did this via smb on the mac using firewire rather than transfer over the usb cable direct to the slug – took 1 hour rather than 6 hours!) and my initial observations are:

a fair few files don’t have a ‘parent’ folder ie. looking at the itunes slug share they’re floating free – lacking tags perhaps??, even though I know they have title/album/genre/artist

can’t get playlists to show up on the itunes slug share even though the xml file is in the slug /mp3/itunes/ folder and also just in /mp3/
    Despite that, they are showing on the playlists menu on the s/b – seems strange…

currently playing an album that would constantly rebuffer when streamed from the mac to the s/b but seems to stream seamlessly from the slug – now that’s an improvement!

Ron – cheers for the help – much appreciated as ever – probably more questions later as I explore further πŸ™„

just one more thing for now – how do I generate the log file? i’m having trouble locating it…

thanks again, andy

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

can’t get playlists to show up on the itunes slug share even though the xml file is in the slug /mp3/itunes/ folder and also just in /mp3/
    Despite that, they are showing on the playlists menu on the s/b – seems strange…

That should really do it… the log file might give more info.

just one more thing for now – how do I generate the log file? i’m having trouble locating it…

Go into the web admin, and set a path in the log file field. Maybe: /share/flash/data/public/mt-daapd.log.

Then set your debug level in the same page. 9 is most verbose. So if you have something you know you want to capture (scanning iTunes xml file), set the log level to 9, do a manual scan, wait for it to complete, then turn the debug level back down to 2 or so.

Then check the log. Or zip it and email it to me at [email protected], and I can help you out.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Go into the web admin, and set a path in the log file field. Maybe: /share/flash/data/public/mt-daapd.log.

doh…! πŸ™„ too used to having everything laid out in OS X…

got the log now… thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have run into a roadblock which hopefully someone can help me to unravel. All has been working fine for a while up to now when I have tried to add some new music into my mp3 share. Whatever I try, I get insufficient priveliges warnings when trying to move a folder into the itunes music folder in /mp3. I have changed permissions on the mp3 folder so that users, groups & others all have read, write & execute but to no avail. I think the problem may be at the next level with the permissions on the itunes music folder itself but I can’t for the life of me figure out changing the permissions or indeed the ownership on that directory. here’s a snippet from the telnet session:

# cd /share/flash/data
    # ls -l
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 Aug 1 18:17 TV
    drwxrwxr-x 5 admin everyone 4096 Jun 9 09:12 backups
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 May 24 22:59 dropfolder
    drwx
    2 root root 16384 May 10 18:54 lost+found
    drwxrwxrwx 6 admin everyone 4096 Jul 31 20:11 mp3
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Aug 1 19:00 mt-daapd
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 May 22 21:54 public
    -rw
    1 root root 64064 Aug 1 18:58 quota.user
    -rw
    1 root root 64064 Aug 1 18:57 quota.user~
    # cd mp3
    # ls -l
    drwxrwxr-x 2 admin everyone 4096 Jul 28 10:02 Desktop Folder
    drwxrwxr-x 4 admin everyone 4096 Aug 1 08:35 Traveling Wilburys
    drwxr-xr-x 587 guest everyone 20480 May 21 22:27 iTunes Music
    -rwxrw-r-- 1 admin everyone 7415729 May 14 21:27 iTunes Music Library.xml

I have tried all manner of combinations to access the itunes music directory but nothing seems to work:

# chmod go+w itunes music
    chmod: itunes: No such file or directory
    # chmod go+w iTunes Music
    chmod: iTunes: No such file or directory
    # chmod go+w iTunes_Music
    chmod: iTunes_Music: No such file or directory
    # chmod go+w itunes_music
    chmod: itunes_music: No such file or directory

and I’m thinking that it’s the designation of that folder as ‘guest’ that’s casuing me the problems, but how do I fix it…?

Any pointers gratefully received!
    cheers, andy

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

I have run into a roadblock which hopefully someone can help me to unravel. All has been working fine for a while up to now when I have tried to add some new music into my mp3 share. Whatever I try, I get insufficient priveliges warnings when trying to move a folder into the itunes music folder in /mp3. I have changed permissions on the mp3 folder so that users, groups & others all have read, write & execute but to no avail. I think the problem may be at the next level with the permissions on the itunes music folder itself but I can’t for the life of me figure out changing the permissions or indeed the ownership on that directory. here’s a snippet from the telnet session:

# cd /share/flash/data
    # ls -l
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 Aug 1 18:17 TV
    drwxrwxr-x 5 admin everyone 4096 Jun 9 09:12 backups
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 May 24 22:59 dropfolder
    drwx
    2 root root 16384 May 10 18:54 lost+found
    drwxrwxrwx 6 admin everyone 4096 Jul 31 20:11 mp3
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Aug 1 19:00 mt-daapd
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 May 22 21:54 public
    -rw
    1 root root 64064 Aug 1 18:58 quota.user
    -rw
    1 root root 64064 Aug 1 18:57 quota.user~
    # cd mp3
    # ls -l
    drwxrwxr-x 2 admin everyone 4096 Jul 28 10:02 Desktop Folder
    drwxrwxr-x 4 admin everyone 4096 Aug 1 08:35 Traveling Wilburys
    drwxr-xr-x 587 guest everyone 20480 May 21 22:27 iTunes Music
    -rwxrw-r-- 1 admin everyone 7415729 May 14 21:27 iTunes Music Library.xml

I have tried all manner of combinations to access the itunes music directory but nothing seems to work:

# chmod go+w itunes music
    chmod: itunes: No such file or directory
    # chmod go+w iTunes Music
    chmod: iTunes: No such file or directory
    # chmod go+w iTunes_Music
    chmod: iTunes_Music: No such file or directory
    # chmod go+w itunes_music
    chmod: itunes_music: No such file or directory

and I’m thinking that it’s the designation of that folder as ‘guest’ that’s casuing me the problems, but how do I fix it…?

Any pointers gratefully received!
    cheers, andy

the problems with chmod you are getting are from having spaces in the file names. When you type

chmod go+w iTunes Music

It thinks you want to chmod the iTunes directory and the Music directory, neither of which exist, of course.

You want:

chmod go+w “iTunes Music”

to tell it that the space is part of the name, not a separator between arguments.

As far as permissions, I’d do something like this from the /share/flash/data directory:

chown -R admin:everyone mp3
    find mp3 -type d exec chmod 2775 {} ;
    find mp3 -type d exec chmod 664 {} ;

That changes the owner and group to admin and everyone respectively for everything (recursively (-R)) in the mp3 directory.

After that, it finds all the directories (type -d) in the mp3 directory and changes the permissions to 2775 (more on that in a bit)

Then it finds all the files (type -f) in the mp3 directory and changes the permissions to rw-rw-r. That makes all the files essentially world writable.

You could make that 644 to make it world readable, and writable by admin. Also, you could make it easier to make them owned by you rather than admin, if that’s how you connect via smb to the slug. (chown -R andyg:everyone mp3)

The 2775 is kinda strange. that makes is 775 (rwxrwxr-x), or directories world writable (or 2755, wich andyg:everyone if you only want it world-readable) and the G makes the folders set up so that any files placed in it are owned by the group that drops them in (everyone, in this case). That way when you make a new folder or item, it continues to have the permissions of the parent folder.

If that doesn’t make sense, let me know, and I can expand on it.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Ron,

got as far as doing the chmod go+w “iTunes Music” and that solved it. Guess I should have thought about trying to use quote marks πŸ™„

Haven’t done the rest of your suggestions yet but from reading through it I understand the principles of what you’re saying.
    Just one thing:

chown -R admin:everyone mp3
    find mp3 -type d exec chmod 2775 {} ;
    find mp3 -type d exec chmod 664 {} ;

I assume that last line should be

find mp3 -type f exec chmod 664 {} ;

rather than -type d as per what you write further on…

thanks again, andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.