You are here: Home » Topic » NSLU2 with Unslung 6.10 not starting Firefly

NSLU2 with Unslung 6.10 not starting Firefly

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #2256

    Anonymous

    Hi all,
    I combed the forum for an hour and didn’t get an answer for my issue, so here goes…
    I just installed Unslung 6.10 on my NSLU2. Went on OK.
    6.10 running on my USB key in the Disk 2 slot. EXT3 Formatted.
    Formatted a 200gb drive in Disk 1 slot. EXT3. Completely empty except for one MP3 file in a folder called “MP3”.
    When I install firefly via “ipkg install mt-daapd”, it seems to go fine.
    When I try to start Firefly by typing “/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd” I get this error.

    # /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    Bad mp3 directory (/share/hdd/data/public/mp3): No such file or directory
    Error reading config file (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf)
    #

    I can see that it wants the data to be on the HDD instead of the “Flash” directory where it should be as described in the wiki:

    If you unslung to a single disk drive following the instructions above (i.e. in port 1) then the directory containing your data will be /share/hdd/data/mp3. Stick: If you’ve been following the memory stick route then the hard drive directory containing your music will be /share/flash/data/mp3. Do not be confused by the appearance of the word ‘flash’ in the path. The linksys firmware underlying Unslung simply refers to the data partition of any device attached to USB port 2 as /share/flash/mp3. If you’re interested this is explained in more detail in the “Which USB Port for Unslung6” article. Look at the section on dual native devices.

    How do I edit the file so it goes to the right place? I know almost nothing about Unix but did figure out telnet/etc. today. 🙂 Any help would be really appreciated. I’m using a MAc but can boot into XP on it if that helps. Thanks! -Dan

    #16435

    sonichouse
    Participant

    Hi Dan, welcome on board.

    There are a few things we can try…

    1.) check the disks are mapped correctly

    df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 1.7G 700M 968M 42% /
    /dev/root 6.4M 6.2M 184K 98% /initrd
    /dev/sda1 1.7G 700M 968M 42% /
    /dev/sda1 1.7G 700M 968M 42% /share/flash/data
    /dev/sdb1 230G 27G 200G 12% /share/hdd/data
    /dev/sdb2 114M 4.1M 109M 4% /share/hdd/conf
    /dev/sdb2 114M 4.1M 109M 4% /share/flash/conf

    I have my external disk as /share/hdd/data.

    2) Check for files

    ls -l /share/hdd/data/public
    drwxrwxrwx 8 root root 4096 Feb 24 16:15 mp3

    Do you see your mp3 directory ?

    Are the file permissions set correctly ?

    3) Check your mt-daapd.conf for the path of the share

    If you need to edit to the conf file and are not confident using vi try installing nano with

    ipkg install nano

    /Steve

    #16436

    Anonymous

    I found this post:

    http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?=&p=10549

    which seems to share the same issue? Again, if you could please help me understand how do I find and edit the .conf file, I would be super thankful.

    Thanks!
    Dan

    #16437

    sonichouse
    Participant

    @dansulvn wrote:

    I found this post:

    http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?=&p=10549

    which seems to share the same issue? Again, if you could please help me understand how do I find and edit the .conf file, I would be super thankful.

    Thanks!
    Dan

    Install the nano editor as per the instructions in that post.

    #16438

    Anonymous

    @sonichouse wrote:

    Hi Dan, welcome on board.

    There are a few things we can try…

    1.) check the disks are mapped correctly

    df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 1.7G 700M 968M 42% /
    /dev/root 6.4M 6.2M 184K 98% /initrd
    /dev/sda1 1.7G 700M 968M 42% /
    /dev/sda1 1.7G 700M 968M 42% /share/flash/data
    /dev/sdb1 230G 27G 200G 12% /share/hdd/data
    /dev/sdb2 114M 4.1M 109M 4% /share/hdd/conf
    /dev/sdb2 114M 4.1M 109M 4% /share/flash/conf

    I have my external disk as /share/hdd/data.

    2) Check for files

    ls -l /share/hdd/data/public
    drwxrwxrwx 8 root root 4096 Feb 24 16:15 mp3

    Do you see your mp3 directory ?

    Are the file permissions set correctly ?

    3) Check your mt-daapd.conf for the path of the share

    If you need to edit to the conf file and are not confident using vi try installing nano with

    ipkg install nano

    /Steve

    Steve, thanks for the quick reply!
    This is what comes up:


    # df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 1.7G 53.6M 1.6G 3% /
    /dev/mtdblock4 6.4M 6.1M 324.0k 95% /initrd
    /dev/sda1 1.7G 53.6M 1.6G 3% /share/flash/data
    /dev/sda2 120.1M 4.0M 114.8M 3% /share/flash/conf
    /dev/sdb1 183.2G 95.2M 181.2G 0% /share/hdd/data
    /dev/sdb2 106.3M 4.1M 101.1M 4% /share/hdd/conf
    # ls -l /share/hdd/data/public
    drwxrwxr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 Feb 27 15:58 MP3

    So share/hdd/data is where the MP3 files should go. Do my permissions look right? If not, how do I change them? Thanks so much! -Dan[/code]

    #16439

    sonichouse
    Participant

    Ok, so you have the right disk, and permissions look OK.

    We need to check your config file. try

     grep mp3_dir /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    # mp3_dir (required)
    mp3_dir = /share/hdd/data/public/mp3

    note that the path is case sensitive so yours should be

    mp3_dir = /share/hdd/data/public/MP3
    #16440

    Anonymous

    Here’s what I get:

    # grep mp3_dir /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    # mp3_dir (required)
    mp3_dir /share/hdd/data/public/mp3

    “MP3” is I folder I created from my Mac while Disk 1 was a mounted volume after the fact once I was getting no love from Firefly. Looking at the volume via SMB on my mac shows no “mp3” folder,or any other folder than the “MP3” one I created.

    Sorry. Nano is installed, but I can’t seem to start it or know how to make changes in the config file if needed.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    #16441

    sonichouse
    Participant

    you should type

    nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

    if that fails what error do you get ?

    try

    /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    #16442

    Anonymous
    # ipkg install nano
    Package nano (2.0.7-1) installed in root is up to date.
    Nothing to be done
    # nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    -sh: nano: not found
    # /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    Error opening terminal: unknown.
    #

    Bummer, eh?

    #16443

    Anonymous

    so based on the error, I entered the following to make a mp3 folder

    # mkdir /share/hdd/data/public/mp3

    and now it works.

    Steve, you’re a saint for helping me. I have no idea why it went this way… thanks for your help!!!

    #16444

    sonichouse
    Participant

    @dansulvn wrote:

    # ipkg install nano
    Package nano (2.0.7-1) installed in root is up to date.
    Nothing to be done
    # nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    -sh: nano: not found
    # /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    Error opening terminal: unknown.
    #

    Bummer, eh?

    Try

    PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH
    term=vt100
    nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    #16445

    sonichouse
    Participant

    @dansulvn wrote:

    so based on the eror, I entered the following to make a mp3 folder

    # mkdir /share/hdd/data/public/mp3

    and now it works.

    Steve, you’re a saint for helping me. I have no idea why it went this way… thanks for your help!!!

    No problem – we all have to start somewhere 😀

    Have fun.

    #16446

    Anonymous

    Just in case it helps anyone else, I couldn’t write to the MP3 folder on the HD, so I had to delete it as a folder from my Mac with the HD as a mounted network volume, and recreate a new folder as “mp3”. Then I could write to it as needed with the proper permissions, and fill it up with music.

    As a low-power solution, I’m really happy with the NSLU2. The attached HD is a WD Passport USB-powered case with a Toshiba 4200 rpm 2.5″ SATA drive inside. Browse functions are slower on my Roku than when connected to my MacBook running iTunes, but the speed is acceptable, and so far it is playing tunes pretty reliably. Hoping to really test it out as I’m pretty snowed in this weekend.

    I had to pull that resistor off the NSLU2 board as my hardware turns out to be the older version, so now the speed of the CPU is a full 266mhz, and that did help with load times on the Roku.

    On the Mac I use Chronosync to keep the folder synched with my iTunes library, and the only problem is the EXT3 structure doesn’t like “?” or “(” in the song titles, consequently hating rappers with guest vocalists, and all of my ?uestlove albums. 🙂

    Thanks again Steve! I wouldn’t have solved this without you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.