NSLU2 / NTFS / de-underclocked

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

Just thought I’d share this with you, since there are a few guys that run Unslung, mt-daapd with their music library sitting on an NTFS drive:

I de-underclocked my slug last week, and while it really is a lot snappier (yay), mt-daapd really isnt. The initial scan is only about 20% faster, this is, like I suspected, because the bottleneck is the slow-poke NTFS module.

Anyway, NSLU2s with a production date after mid-2006 come at 266Mhz anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰

cromei
    Participant

Yeah, I de-underclocked and saw some improvement, but the biggest improvement happened when I had the NSLU2 format the drive…
    Craig

fizze
    Participant

yes. I’ll likely change to debonaras or openslug, with native ext3 on the drive.
    *sigh*

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

yes. I’ll likely change to debonaras or openslug, with native ext3 on the drive.
    *sigh*

Mmmmm… debian….

fizze
    Participant

formatting ext3 as we speak. Im curious of the performance hit ๐Ÿ˜‰

sansp00
    Participant

I had numerous issues using NTFS with mt-daapd … Since I had 2 drives and space on the native one, I dumped a copy of my whole collection on EXT3 native. No more problem ever since.
    Im looking now into putting rsync script to make sure the NTFS library is in line with the EXT3 one since I used the NTFS drive on the go outside the house.
    Patrick S.
    The de-underclocking is next on my list …

fizze
    Participant

well, I used the IFS driver to copy my stuff onto the disk right now, it works really fast and nice.
    install doesnt even require a reboot ๐Ÿ˜‰

edit:
    omfg, i just let mt-daapd do an initial scan of my whol collection, without those ‘huge’ ogg files. they no longer cause a SIGHUP or OOM, but still take ages i guess. anyway.

it scanned 7602 songs in 396 seconds.

on the NTFS, it took like 6000 seconds for the same action. go figure. (!)

sansp00
    Participant

Did the de-undeclocking yesterday night … Also installed a new busy box, updated the packages I had and finished off with the latest nighty of mt-daapd.
    Had some disk corruption slowing things down, boot time went from few seconds to > 10 minutes. Did a e2fdsk and things seems back to normal. Was preoccupied since I was not able to unmount the mount I wanted to fix, did it mounted anyways even if is not recommended.

Was tired, did not poke around much aside the /var/log/messages afterwards and things looked fine with acceptable boot times.

Ron the new interface is killer, grats !
    Patrick S.

rpedde
    Participant

@sansp00 wrote:

Ron the new interface is killer, grats !
    Patrick S.

That’s all Anders… Some of the unfinished stuff is hidden — the playlist thing, and the java web app thing. I think both of those will come back once I get separate builds for nightlies and stable builds.

Jxn
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

*sigh*

Running Debian Etch on my NSLU2 now. Workes realy good.
    Have Debians mt-daapd, 0.2.4+r1376-1, which has some issues when it comes to streaming OGG-files to Rhythmbox 0.9.6.

But otherwise it works real good. Look at <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/> for installation using Etch Debian installer RC1. If you have old Debian installation, you can upgrade with these instructions <http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html> (not tested by me though).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.