NSLU2 – not advertising on UDP 5353?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues NSLU2 – not advertising on UDP 5353?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dugbee
    Participant

Hi all.

I have an NSLU2, running SVN-1528. A couple of Roku M500s. Everything works perfectly. It’s unslung with 6.8. Everything works perfectly.

A friend of mine also has an NSLU2, with the same firmware. His does NOT work. For some reason, he only sees 3 mt-daapd processes (I have 4). The web server responds fine, scans through the songs, etc. It just won’t show up on the Roku.

I should note that we’ve tried my binaries as well as a new install of SVN-1586 which is what’s currently running on his box.

When we do a netstat, I see that my box shows a UDP port of 5353, I know that it should be advertising on that port.

When he does a netstat, no such port is available. I’ve looked through the logs (even with -d 9) and can’t see much, or don’t know what I’m looking for.

What would prevent that 4th process from launching and advertising on 5353? Thanks very much!

rpedde
    Participant

@dugbee wrote:

Hi all.

I have an NSLU2, running SVN-1528. A couple of Roku M500s. Everything works perfectly. It’s unslung with 6.8. Everything works perfectly.

A friend of mine also has an NSLU2, with the same firmware. His does NOT work. For some reason, he only sees 3 mt-daapd processes (I have 4). The web server responds fine, scans through the songs, etc. It just won’t show up on the Roku.

When we do a netstat, I see that my box shows a UDP port of 5353, I know that it should be advertising on that port.

When he does a netstat, no such port is available. I’ve looked through the logs (even with -d 9) and can’t see much, or don’t know what I’m looking for.

What would prevent that 4th process from launching and advertising on 5353? Thanks very much!

Running it with “-m”, or running another mdns process (avahi-daemon, maybe?) would do that.

If you are running avahi, then change /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd to run with -m and set up the avahi config to advertise the daap share.

If you are running avahi but don’t really need to, then stop the daemon and re-start mt-daapd, and it should come up.

— Ron

dugbee
    Participant

I don’t believe avahi is installed – nor does a ps -ef | grep avahi reveal any processes..

Any other mdns processes I can look for?

Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@dugbee wrote:

I don’t believe avahi is installed – nor does a ps -ef | grep avahi reveal any processes..

Any other mdns processes I can look for?

Thanks!

Well, howl, but I don’t think that’s in the ipkg repo. Does that slug have anything strange? Like multiple ip addresses or something like that?

Also, since you are obviously online right now, I’m on freenode in #mt-daapd if you want to chat over irc.

— Ron

dugbee
    Participant

Just a single IP. One weird thing I did notice in the mt-daapd log is something that says “mDNSPlatformRawTime went backwards by 4 ticks; setting correction factor to -2120540468”

There aren’t any odd packages that are installed – we did a fairly minimal config with sshd, mt-daapd, a few utilities to get netstat and lsof and such.

I’m only randomly at my PC so I can’t IRC. Thanks for your quick responses!

rpedde
    Participant

@dugbee wrote:

Just a single IP. One weird thing I did notice in the mt-daapd log is something that says “mDNSPlatformRawTime went backwards by 4 ticks; setting correction factor to -2120540468”

There aren’t any odd packages that are installed – we did a fairly minimal config with sshd, mt-daapd, a few utilities to get netstat and lsof and such.

I’m only randomly at my PC so I can’t IRC. Thanks for your quick responses!

Is this 0.2.4, or nightlies?

The log doesn’t say anything about bonjour not starting? That’s kind of strange.

Is the roku wired or wireless?

And if you use iTunes on a wired network the same as the firefly server, do you see it?

dugbee
    Participant

This is SVN-1586.

I looked at the log (even the one with -d 9) and there’s no mention of bonjour whatsoever. Odd.

Also, there seems to be several upnpd processes running. Any idea what those are? (my slug doesn’t have these, and works fine)

thanks!

edit – never mind, I think that’s the UPNP support on the slug. Would that interfere?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.