NSLU2, iTunes and Firefly: Setup Concepts

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues NSLU2, iTunes and Firefly: Setup Concepts

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking at posts in this forum and the excellent Wiki on this site, as well as the mt-daapd NSLU2 Quickstart wiki, I’m still unclear on a few concepts.

I have a NSLU2 with a 160 GB harddrive set up and working on port 1 with the latest (standard) firmware from Linksys. I have not created any shared folders on the drive yet, but I want to have a single shared folder that is most of the drive called “music”. Do I set this up first under the NSLU2 web admin interface?

Then it looks like step two of the process is to assign the NSLU2 a drive letter in Windows, copy my MP3 files to the /music folder, configure iTunes to use that folder and create my playlists, etc. Once I make sure that’s working …

Step three is to use the excellent tutorials here to unsling the NSLU2, telnet in and install Firefly (mt-daapd), and configure Firefly. Am I right so far?

In several posts, there are paths listed such as “/share/hdd/data/public/” or “/share/flash/data/public/” … that portion of the path is created by the NSLU2 itself, right? My “music” folder would appear at the end, like “/share/flash/data/public/music/”? I don’t have to create the folders within the NSLU2 web interface, do I?

rpedde
    Participant

@fshagan wrote:

Looking at posts in this forum and the excellent Wiki on this site, as well as the mt-daapd NSLU2 Quickstart wiki, I’m still unclear on a few concepts.

I have a NSLU2 with a 160 GB harddrive set up and working on port 1 with the latest (standard) firmware from Linksys. I have not created any shared folders on the drive yet, but I want to have a single shared folder that is most of the drive called “music”. Do I set this up first under the NSLU2 web admin interface?

Then it looks like step two of the process is to assign the NSLU2 a drive letter in Windows, copy my MP3 files to the /music folder, configure iTunes to use that folder and create my playlists, etc. Once I make sure that’s working …

Step three is to use the excellent tutorials here to unsling the NSLU2, telnet in and install Firefly (mt-daapd), and configure Firefly. Am I right so far?

In several posts, there are paths listed such as “/share/hdd/data/public/” or “/share/flash/data/public/” … that portion of the path is created by the NSLU2 itself, right? My “music” folder would appear at the end, like “/share/flash/data/public/music/”? I don’t have to create the folders within the NSLU2 web interface, do I?

nope, the /share/flash/data/public or /share/hdd/data/public correspond to the public share on the nslu2. Depending on version and port connected, it might be either name. Try both. see which works.

But yeah, that’s the path with music at the end. Otehr than that, follow the instructions and you should be good.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks … I think I understand it now.

I’m going to get shared music on the NSLU2 working with iTunes first and then I’ll proceed to flash the firmware, etc. So far, its a slow process! 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.