NSLU2 and Firefly Setup Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Darth Nemo
    Participant

Hi,

Before we start its worth mentioning that although I have been running firefly through windows, I am a real noob to getting it working on the NSLU2 and this is probably because i have zero experience with Linux and Telnetting and have been using the net to guide me through. At the moment, I can’t get either of my Roku Soundbridges to see the new server.

Equipment: NSLU2 upgraded to latest firmware, and running Unslung 6.8; Buffalo 300gb USB Hard Drive.

So far, I have followed [url[http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Quickstart_NSLU2 [/url]and http://www.fibiger.org/musicserver/nslu2-mtdaapd-howto.html to get the latest version of firefly.

I have also followed this procedure http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Mt-daapd however instead of using a folder called MP3, mine is called Music-VBR.

Now here is where my questions start,
    (Music is my servername,)

1) In windows, I can see two folders from NSLU2, Disk 1 on Music, and Admin 1 on Music – I can access Disk 1, but Admin 1 requires a password and I have no idea what that is – do I need to use this in anyway?

2) Is there any other way other than telnet to access the mt-daapd config file – at the moment, I have to copy it to /share/hdd/data/public to be able to see it – I have tried to access it using (my ip address):3689 and 9999 – but I can’t see it?

3) I read often on the internet that it is easy to copy and move files around – is telnet the only way to do this?

4) Any ideas why my Roku’s cannot see the NSLU2 server – they are connected wirelessly, but are running the latest firmware, I’ve also installed the latest firefly ipk software.

5) I’ve opened two ports on my router to the device, but that doesn’t seem to work either – is my music still secure with the ports open?

6) I was planning on using my hard drive for back up too, presumably I can specifiy which folder is shared and which is not?

After 10 hours of no joy, and a really sore back from arching i’m hoping that someone can help, preferably with keystrokes dialogues?

Kind Regards,

James
    😕

fizze
    Participant

hm, so you downloaded the latest nightly build of nightlies.mt-daapd.org and installed it in telnet via ipkg install xxxyyyyy.ipk ?

Anyway, you have to get used a little to telnet and the linux console in order to set up the mt-daapd. Once the music dir is set, you can use the WEB interface (ip of your NSLU2):3869 to change the config variables.

Although AFAIK not all values are supported via there yet.

Darth Nemo
    Participant

Yep downloaded it, then copied it to the appropriate location and installed it.

I can’t seem to access the web interface at all using the the ip address of my NSLU2:3869.

I’m finding it puzzling

fizze
    Participant

yes, because in order to do so, firefly has to be started successfully.

And in order to do that, the mp3_dir has to be accessible to mt-daapd.

So you have to edit the config file yourself, and then start mt-daapd.

The command to start it is:

/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd

To view any log outputs do:

tail -f /var/log/messages

without the -f it will just print the last 10 lines of that logfile, with -f it will follow the file and display any new output on screen.
    To quit, simply press CTRL+C.

Darth Nemo
    Participant

Still struggling on this one – started from scratch and now can’t figure out how to edit the mt-daapd config file – any ideas how you copy it out using telnet?

On a seperate note, probably unrelated – I have to keep changing the ip address of the NSLU2 otherwise I can’t access the web interface?

Any help always appreciated,

James

rpedde
    Participant

@Darth Nemo wrote:

Still struggling on this one – started from scratch and now can’t figure out how to edit the mt-daapd config file – any ideas how you copy it out using telnet?

No need with recent nightlies. Just go to the web config page and make changes there. Start the server, then web to http://server:3689, log on with any username, and the password “mt-daapd”. Then hit the “config” link, and set up the configuration as you like it.

That will re-write the config file for you, so you don’t have to mess with editing it by hand.

— Ron

Darth Nemo
    Participant

Thanks for all the help – but I can’t seem to copy the new nightly file onto my drive in telnet. My drive is connected on usb 2 and i’m using the command

cp /share/hdd/data/public/mt-daapd(insert version number).ipk /tmp but alas no joy.

Lots of people seem to be able to view their directory structure – but I have no idea how to do that?

James

rpedde
    Participant

@Darth Nemo wrote:

Thanks for all the help – but I can’t seem to copy the new nightly file onto my drive in telnet. My drive is connected on usb 2 and i’m using the command

cp /share/hdd/data/public/mt-daapd(insert version number).ipk /tmp but alas no joy.

Lots of people seem to be able to view their directory structure – but I have no idea how to do that?

James

It might be /share/flash/data/public/

To see files and whatnot, use “ls”. Something like “ls /share” will show you all the files and directories in “/share”. You can use ls to list files in any directory by specifying what directory you want to list files for.

Given that, you ought to be able to find out where the file is.

Another useful command is find:

foo@slug:~$ find / -name “mt-daapd_svn*”

That will show the files with name starting with “mt-daapd_svn” in the “/” directory (or below).

Might take some time to scan the whole drive, but it will eentually find it and show you the path.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

hm, make sure the nslu2 can access the internet.
    then telnet into it and chdir to /tmp.

then do

wget http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/dl.php?FILE=mt-daapd_svn-1372-1_armeb.ipk

for example.
    You can copy/paste with the right mousekey, in all half-decent console apps.

wget will download a file from the given server and store it in the current directory. After the d/l has finished, you can just do the

ipkg install mt-daapd_svn-1372-1_armeb.ipk

the above example should work for the latest nightly files, filenames are subject to change 😉

Darth Nemo
    Participant

Thanks Fizze, will use this ongoing – managed to get it all working last night. Turned of UPnp on the NSLU and now the web interface works all the time. When you have no knowledge of Linux commands a lot of this stuff is hard.

When I was trying to get it to work, I used the following command

chmod 777 /share/hdd/data/public/mp3

what does it do, and should i change it to something else more secure?

James

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.