NSLU-2 / Firefly / Soundbridge problem when changing router

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues NSLU-2 / Firefly / Soundbridge problem when changing router

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rage
    Participant

Hi,

I have an unslung NSLU-2 running firefly. Everything was working fine until by BT Homehub router faceplanted. I therefore bought and installed a Belkin N Wireless Router.

For some reason the router is not recognising the slug, it definately recognised the Soundbridge as I can run firely from the computer no problems, full normal access.

I have tried searching for the slug and connecting to it but I get the following error message “You do not have permission to use this network resourse….”

When I try to connect to the slug via the Soundbridge I get an error message “Connection to server failed”

Any ideas on how I can make the slug seen on my network?

fizze
    Participant

How is the soundbridge connected? Wired or wireless?

If its wireless then the problem might be that its only 802.11b capable, not 11g or let alone 11n.

So you might want to turn off the n-mode and enable b only to see if thats it.

If its wired it really should work, unless there are a lots of “security features” that block multicasts…. πŸ™„

Rage
    Participant

The SB is wireless and working fine. The NSLU-2 is wired to the router.

rpedde
    Participant

@Rage wrote:

The SB is wireless and working fine. The NSLU-2 is wired to the router.

ANd how is the computer that you could run firefly from set up? Wired or wireless?

Is your nslu2 set up for dhcp? Or is it set with a static address? What *is* the address? Can you ping it from your workstation?

I’m thinking you got a new dhcp range with your new router.

– Ron

fizze
    Participant

The NSLU2 is hardly ever set up with DHCP, unless you’re running some sweet debian, since the dhcp implementation of linksys is utterly broken.

So your guess sounds very good, Ron πŸ™‚

S80_UK
    Participant

Yes – this is the likely problem. NSLU2 by default is fixed – 192.168.1.77 if memory serves. This may well be on a different subnet to the addresses allocated by DHCP on the new router.

Rage
    Participant

My computer is wireless to the router.

The NSLU-2 is 192.168.1.77 I cannot ping or telnet to it. The router IP is 192.168.2.1.

Does this therefore mean that the NSLU-2 is outside the range of the router, if so what do I do about it?

Rage
    Participant

Well,

I reassigned an IP of 192.168.1.1 to the router and therefore made the DHCP range 192.168.1.2 – 100. As the NSLU-2 is 1.8.168.1.77 it should now connect?

EDIT: OK, good, I can now connect to the slug, but the SB won’t connect, I will reboot it and see what happens.

EDIT 2: Success! Thank you for helping out a nooblah. πŸ˜€

fizze
    Participant

Great its working now πŸ™‚

Just a sidenote:

DHCP range 192.168.1.2 – 100. As the NSLU-2 is 1.8.168.1.77

As the IP of the slug is static (nothing to do with DHCP), it should be outside the DHCP-range.

I’d just set the DHCP Range to 192.168.1.100 – 192.168.1.200.
    That way you can leave the slug at .77.

Otherwise chances are (slim, but still ;)) that one of the clients one day gets assigned .77 as an IP address and the network will be borked.

Rage
    Participant

Cheers for the advice. Learning…always learning… πŸ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.