Not all mp3 tags update

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    staging2000
    Participant

I have two different issues.

First I should mention I am using a Roku SB M1000 to play my music.

If I update any tags in my mp3 files (say adding release year or changing genre) they are not reflected until FF does a rescan. ITunes seems to update it’s library as soon as the file is played without needing to rescan.

I have FF set to not rescan to decrease disk activity. Is there any way to have the FF database do a query when a song is played to update any changes?

My second issue is a little more quirky. I have also spent considerable time trimming silence from my mp3 files. Some of these files still show their original track time but when played in FF the song will end at the trimmed time. For example a song that was originally 3:52 but is now 3:49 after trimming still shows the 3:52 while playing but jumps to the next song at 3:49.

When the same song is played from ITunes it will show the correct trimmed time. The quirk is even after a rescan in FF the incorrect (original) track length displays on the SB but if I delete the database and rebuild it then the correct (trimmed) time will show up. I am not an expert on mp3 tags. Is there actually a tag for the time or is it calculated by the number of frames. It is almost as if even after a rescan the time tag is not updated.

Any ideas?

By the way, I am up to almost 13,000 songs and FF runs circles around the other options with my SB. Great work.

rpedde
    Participant

@staging2000 wrote:

I have FF set to not rescan to decrease disk activity. Is there any way to have the FF database do a query when a song is played to update any changes?

No, but that’s a great idea.

My second issue is a little more quirky. I have also spent considerable time trimming silence from my mp3 files. Some of these files still show their original track time but when played in FF the song will end at the trimmed time. For example a song that was originally 3:52 but is now 3:49 after trimming still shows the 3:52 while playing but jumps to the next song at 3:49.

Wow. I’m not sure about this. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’m not following your description of what’s happening very well.

What did you use to trim the silence?

I’m wondering if the song length hasn’t changed, that it is in fact the full length (3:52), but a start and end duration have been set.

I’m not sure what the tags are for that. These are mp3 files?

staging2000
    Participant

Hi Ron,

I am using a program called MPTrim Pro (http://www.mptrim.com). It removes any frames of digital silence from the beginning and end of mp3 files without re encoding them. I know it is not just setting new start and end flags in the tag because the file size is actually smaller after trimming the silence. Obviously it has no effect on live albums or some of the newer CD’s that are gapless but it does a great job on the older stuff that can have 5 or 6 seconds of nothing between tracks.

When you run MPTrim on a file it will show you the the file space saved before trimming and allow you to preview the first and last 5 seconds of the track. It also shows the new (trimmed) track time in seconds or frames. It actually shows separate values for time trimmed at the beginning and end of the track.

I can’t stand long gaps in music when listening to my SB.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.