Noob problems w/ .mp4 and .mov files

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wiltzius
    Participant

Ok self admitted noob to Firefly, just started to play with it this week.

Problem: .mp4 videos do not play as video, audio only. This is a big problem since most of the podcasts I am trying to use Firefly to share are of this format. .mov files play audio only until you click on Album Art area then plays pops up and plays the video fine. .m4v files play video on start of stream and show video icon next to track name (.mov and .mp4 do not) in iTunes. From what I can tell all videos are encoded in h.264. .mp3 files play per normal.

Concern: Despite having require password turned off (and no password has ever been entered) iTunes prompts for a password. If “ok” is pressed it will not ask again. If “cancel” is pressed the prompt will show up again. This is not a huge deal, just kinda odd.

Server:
    svn-1586
    MacMini 10.4.8
    iTunes 7.3
    QuickTime 7.1.5

Clients:
    OS X 10.4.8 to 10.4.10
    iTunes 7.2 or 7.3
    QuickTime 7.1.5 or 7.2

Network:
    1gig Ethernet to all clients and servers on same lan.

Install and setup was a snap, thanks much for making that so easy. Thanks for any help.
    Sam

rpedde
    Participant

@wiltzius wrote:

Ok self admitted noob to Firefly, just started to play with it this week.

Problem: .mp4 videos do not play as video, audio only. This is a big problem since most of the podcasts I am trying to use Firefly to share are of this format. .mov files play audio only until you click on Album Art area then plays pops up and plays the video fine. .m4v files play video on start of stream and show video icon next to track name (.mov and .mp4 do not) in iTunes. From what I can tell all videos are encoded in h.264. .mp3 files play per normal.

Concern: Despite having require password turned off (and no password has ever been entered) iTunes prompts for a password. If “ok” is pressed it will not ask again. If “cancel” is pressed the prompt will show up again. This is not a huge deal, just kinda odd.

Server:
    svn-1586
    MacMini 10.4.8
    iTunes 7.3
    QuickTime 7.1.5

Clients:
    OS X 10.4.8 to 10.4.10
    iTunes 7.2 or 7.3
    QuickTime 7.1.5 or 7.2

Network:
    1gig Ethernet to all clients and servers on same lan.

Install and setup was a snap, thanks much for making that so easy. Thanks for any help.
    Sam

Second time I’ve heard the mp4 thing, and I was sure that was working. I’ll try and replicate it.

Are you using the mac .dmg installer, or compiled from source?

wiltzius
    Participant

I am using the Mac .dmg installer. Thanks much for looking into it.

oboeaaron
    Participant

I’m experiencing the same behavior – to view a movie, the movie viewer window in iTunes must already be open on the client (by single-clicking in the album artwork panel after pressing play for the movie), or be opened up while the audio is playing.

Stats:
    svn-1586 compiled from source
    OS X Server 10.4.10

Client:
    OS X 10.4.10
    iTunes 7.3.2
    Quicktime 7.2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.