Noob installing on Mandriva 2006 help

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Noob installing on Mandriva 2006 help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dnoyeb
    Participant

First of all, what is required to get the server running? From what I read there are 3 parts. With the 3rd being the server.

Which versions do I need to have to run on Mandriva? Will the firefly 1.0 server run on mandriva? If so, which versions of those other 2 supporting programs do I need for mandriva 2006?

Do I need to install from the zip files, or are there rpms available?

Thanks a lot!

Oh, and once installed, how can I tell its running as I have not purchased the roku yet. I was going for the slimdevices one, but could not get the server running. So I want to get the roku’s firefly server going, at which point I will feel comfortable ordering the roku device itself.

rpedde
    Participant

@dnoyeb wrote:

First of all, what is required to get the server running? From what I read there are 3 parts. With the 3rd being the server.

Not sure. Generally, you’ll need to compile it from source, so you’ll need to install all the developer packages, as well as developer packages for zlib, libid3tag, and sqlite.

Which versions do I need to have to run on Mandriva? Will the firefly 1.0 server run on mandriva? If so, which versions of those other 2 supporting programs do I need for mandriva 2006?

Not sure what the other two supporting program are, unless they are the libid3tag and sqlite. Those will be available directly from whatever package management system you use. Yum or whatever.

Do I need to install from the zip files, or are there rpms available?

Don’t have rpms yet… I hoped to have had them already, but haven’t got it all together yet. Soon I’ll be providing rpms.

Oh, and once installed, how can I tell its running as I have not purchased the roku yet. I was going for the slimdevices one, but could not get the server running. So I want to get the roku’s firefly server going, at which point I will feel comfortable ordering the roku device itself.

Easiest way is to use iTunes as a client.

— Ron

dnoyeb
    Participant

Install from source eh? I havent done that on mandriva yet. Used to do it on RH but… I think I have all the source and stuff installed to compile on my system.

After I compile, is there an install script?

Thanks.

CCRDude
    Participant

Install script? It’s like most Linux source apps “make install” ๐Ÿ˜‰
    How I usually compile:

./configure --enable-oggvorbis --enable-flac --enable-musepack --enable-sqlite3
    make
    make install

If you don’t need oggvorbis, flac and musepack support, and don’t care about the database format used, you can leave all those parameters out and just do the most standard:

./configure
    make
    make install

I’m not sure if that places an /etc/init.d/mt-daapd script yet; if not, it’s in the “contrib” subfolder imho, copy it there. Then use rcconf or similar to set it up to run on each system start (or again use the tool you usually use to do this, no idea what it is on Mandriva ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

fizze
    Participant

well, sidenote: you dont need to be root to “make” or “configure”.
    but you should be, when you “make install” ๐Ÿ˜‰

well, I used to be a big mandriva fan back in the days of ye ol’ mandrake… 8)

Ron, RPMs would be an awesome addition.

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

well, sidenote: you dont need to be root to “make” or “configure”.
    but you should be, when you “make install” ๐Ÿ˜‰

well, I used to be a big mandriva fan back in the days of ye ol’ mandrake… 8)

Ron, RPMs would be an awesome addition.

Working on it… working on it…

I have rpms building on fc6, actually. Need to get mandriva etc working.

dnoyeb
    Participant

Looks like I need to install gnudb manager? Is that the same as sqlite? I saw this in the mandriva quick install thing.

Also, I dont see any stable releases beyond February. do I need to download a nightly? Has there been a stable release since it was dubbed firefly?

rpedde
    Participant

@dnoyeb wrote:

Looks like I need to install gnudb manager? Is that the same as sqlite? I saw this in the mandriva quick install thing.

Also, I dont see any stable releases beyond February. do I need to download a nightly? Has there been a stable release since it was dubbed firefly?

Shouldn’t need gdbm — that’s for the 0.2.4 version. Sqlite is what’s required for nightlies.

The nightlies series is a lot different than the stable series, sadly. Although you can use whatever works for you. 0.2.4 or nightlies. It’s just a matter of features. If you want to transcode ogg or flac or something, then you’ll want nightlies.

svn-1359 and svn-1379 are both reasonably stable.

— Ron

mas
    Participant

I hope also svn-1433 is stable as its the one served via ipkg for the NSLU’s. 8-;

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

I hope also svn-1433 is stable as its the one served via ipkg for the NSLU’s. 8-;

I think there is a memory leak in it, but I haven’t run it down yet. After a couple weeks mine starts to get slow and eventually falls over. Wish I had valgrind on osx.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.