NLSU2 Mt-daapd on Different Subnet – How To Config Router Fi

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues NLSU2 Mt-daapd on Different Subnet – How To Config Router Fi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TheSleuth

Can anyone suggest how to configure things so my NSLU2 running mt-daapd 0.2.4 can be seen by iTunes 7 or Roku Soundbridge on another subnet?

Consider the following:

On my subnet nearest the WAN, I have a DD-WRT router. Connected to a port on that router is the NSLU2 with a fixed IP of 192.168.1.10 and a standard config of mt-daapd on that device.

On another port of that main router is another DD-WRT router, this one with a Wireless Soundbridge and a wired Windows PC running iTunes. This router gets DHCP to provide a 192.168.1 WAN address and uses 192.168.4 to provide DHCP to its subnet.

I would like this subnet to see the NSLU2 library.

I see an option for “Link Aggregation on Ports 3 and 4” under VLAN, but I don’t know if that is an option, and don’t want to rewire all if it is not the right thing to do for this.

I’ve mucked about in the various forwarding and routing menus but don’t see anything more promising. I’ve tried uPnP to no avail.

Is anyone doing this?

rpedde
    Participant

@TheSleuth wrote:

I see an option for “Link Aggregation on Ports 3 and 4” under VLAN, but I don’t know if that is an option, and don’t want to rewire all if it is not the right thing to do for this.

That’s not it. Thats for using two nics in one machine and bonding them together as one interface.

The issue is that iTunes uses multicast to find resources on the network. Unless you have multicast enabled routers in there you won’t be able to route multicast. My guess is that a small embedded consumer device doesn’t have the routing stuff in it that it needs to be able to do this properly.

The “make it work” solution is to use a mdns proxy like RendezvousProxy to let people on the remote network see the server.

— Ron

TheSleuth

@rpedde wrote:

The issue is that iTunes uses multicast to find resources on the network. Unless you have multicast enabled routers in there you won’t be able to route multicast. My guess is that a small embedded consumer device doesn’t have the routing stuff in it that it needs to be able to do this properly.

The “make it work” solution is to use a mdns proxy like RendezvousProxy to let people on the remote network see the server.
    — Ron

I do see the option to not Filter MultiCast from the WAN. Do I need to unfilter from the WAN and also from the LAN side? I attmpeted that (turning off the WAN Filter MultiCast) and turning off the Firewall but that didn’t seem to help.

It sounds like LAN-to-WAN MultiCast needs to be passed through.

Thanks for the tip on RProxy. I’ll also check that out once I hit a dead-end with DD-WRT.

rpedde
    Participant

@TheSleuth wrote:

I do see the option to not Filter MultiCast from the WAN. Do I need to unfilter from the WAN and also from the LAN side? I attmpeted that (turning off the WAN Filter MultiCast) and turning off the Firewall but that didn’t seem to help.

It sounds like LAN-to-WAN MultiCast needs to be passed through.

I’m not specifically familiar with the dd-wrt, but you would want to unfilter whatever you could unfilter. Seems like if the wan port on one is connected to the lan port on another, you’d want to unfilter it on the lan port of the upstream router, and *both* on the downstream router. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the tip on RProxy. I’ll also check that out once I hit a dead-end with DD-WRT.

I’m guessing you’ll end up there eventually. 🙂 I looked through some of the dd-wrt forums and it’s not clear to me that it even has a multicast-enabled kernel. If not, it isn’t going to get far.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.