Newbie question about using firefly on Maxtor mss+

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Newbie question about using firefly on Maxtor mss+

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Iris
    Participant

executing ipkg update generates a Host Lookup failure

rpedde
    Participant

@Iris wrote:

That’s a network settings issue. Check the default gateway and the dns server settings on your mss. They should be the same as the dns and gateway ip addresses of your PC. Typically, that’s the ip address of your router.

Again, you can contact me on AIM (rpedde68) or on IRC on #mt-daapd on freenode if you want to walk through this via conversation rather than round-tripping through the forums. 🙂

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@deanm wrote:

Yes, installed mss-libhelper without problem.

BTW/ version svn-1433 was the version installed (maybe I just missed 1441)

Dean

Okay. I’ll double-check that package.

— Ron

Okay, I added a new package called “mss-ld-so”, try that. I didn’t want to add that to the libhelper package, as I think some firmware versions already include that file.

— Ron

Iris
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@Iris wrote:

That’s a network settings issue. Check the default gateway and the dns server settings on your mss. They should be the same as the dns and gateway ip addresses of your PC. Typically, that’s the ip address of your router.

Again, you can contact me on AIM (rpedde68) or on IRC on #mt-daapd on freenode if you want to walk through this via conversation rather than round-tripping through the forums. 🙂

— Ron

Sorry, I’m not set-up for either. I checked the netowkr settings before I even started. IP of MSS through the Status page all checks out, gateway, etc. The ip is dynamic – don’t know if that’s an issue.

rpedde
    Participant

@Iris wrote:

@Iris wrote:

I checked the netowkr settings before I even started. IP of MSS through the Status page all checks out, gateway, etc. The ip is dynamic – don’t know if that’s an issue.

Try this:

# ping www.google.com
    PING www.l.google.com (216.239.51.104): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 216.239.51.104: icmp_seq=0 ttl=242 time=44.7 ms

If you get the:

PING http://www.x.google.com (###.###.###.###), then your dns is set right. If you don’t get an IP address there, then it’s likely that your dns is the problem.

We can start with the basics… what’s the IP of your PC and your router? You can find your PC settings by doing “ipconfig /all” at a dos prompt on the PC. If it’s something like 192.168.1.1 for the router and 192.168.1.100 for the PC, then the mss should be something like that as well… 192.168.1.something.

Generally, the gateway address is the address of the router: 192.168.1.1. In most home networking environments, that’s the address one should use for DNS as well.

On the mss, you can see the IP address it has by doing “ifconfig eth0” from a telnet window.

You can see the gateway by doing “route -n” and looking for the Gateway for the 0.0.0.0 destination.

You can see the dns server by doing “cat /etc/resolv.conf” and checking for a “nameserver” line.

I’d guess one of those things isn’t right, or doesn’t match your internal network settings.

Iris
    Participant

Well, the ping within telnet failed otherwise via the status pages things look right but with the commands you gave me they sure don’t. Thanks for that.

I think I’ll configure a static ip but what about the first two lines of the instructions – not famailar with linux??? will I need to re-enter them after I reconfigure the MSS and reboot.

Iris

Iris
    Participant

Configuring a static IP solved the problem with the previous error messages including pinging.

Iris
    Participant

When I execute the command to edit I get this screen – doesn’t seem to be displayed right??

[22;30H[ Can now UnJustify! ]e: /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    [0;10;7m^X Exit[0;10;7m^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Txt ^T To
    Spell

killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null

[K[K[K[K[K[Kdaapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

[0;10;7m^G Get Help ^O WriteOu[ Read 14 lines ]Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur
    [0;10;7m^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Txt ^T To S
    pell Justify
    deanm

Great Ron, thanks for the package update, I’ll try that over the weekend.

Iris/ Had exactly the same problem with nano after invoking telnet to the mss from a ‘dos’ prompt. Changed to PuTTY and that worked OK for me (after selecting telnet!)

Dean

Iris
    Participant

Well, I’m up and running 8) . Ron’s tutorial (after he made a couple of edits) provided enough step-by-step instructions. I did run into a couple of things:

Confiqure a STATIC IP for the MSS. I had read this is another post but hadn’t placed a lot of emphasis on it simply because from the MSS interface my network configuration was correct and the MSS was working. However, once I tried to execute > ipkg update and got a “Host” error. A static i.p. fixed that.

The other thing was trying to use Nano after Telneting in from a DOS prompt – the display was all screwed. Thanks to Dean’s post I used PuTTY and that resolved the issue.

So, perhaps these two suggestions can be incorporated into the tutorial for other individuals who use it.

I do think I have a minor clean-up to do (maybe something I missed) but on the Roku the server displays as “firefly svn-1433 on (none)”. I thought the (none) was due to the fact in the FireFly configuration a name for the server hadn’t been specified (by default) but me entering a description there didn’t change anything. Is this editable?

I also will eventually disable/uninstall the FireFly server installed on my laptop – will have to look around for instructions on that or will simply using Add/Remove Programs under Windows suffice?

Thanks again to Ron for his help.

Iris

P.S. Ron, perhaps I should delete some of my posts that weren’t really specific to the installation – do you mind?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.