Newbie calling

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi πŸ™‚

My network : NSLU2+500 GB WD, Linksys WRT54GL (DD-wrt firmware), Desktop dualboot XP(x86) + Vista 64, HP Notebook(Vista x86) and Kiss DP 558.
    I just bought the slug, I am new to linux and just installed DD-WRT firmware on my router.
    Slug is unslung 6.8beta running the latest nightly. Firefly media server installed on XP partition.

Am I right that I dont need my desktop running to be able to stream music to my laptop ?
    If that is correct I have a problem because when I shut down my desktop the laptop loses connection to the mediaserver in Itunes.

What do you need to know to help me out Ron πŸ˜€ ?

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@TigerKiss wrote:

Hi πŸ™‚

My network : NSLU2+500 GB WD, Linksys WRT54GL (DD-wrt firmware), Desktop dualboot XP(x86) + Vista 64, HP Notebook(Vista x86) and Kiss DP 558.
    I just bought the slug, I am new to linux and just installed DD-WRT firmware on my router.
    Slug is unslung 6.8beta running the latest nightly. Firefly media server installed on XP partition.

Am I right that I dont need my desktop running to be able to stream music to my laptop ?
    If that is correct I have a problem because when I shut down my desktop the laptop loses connection to the mediaserver in Itunes.

What do you need to know to help me out Ron πŸ˜€ ?

Thanks

You’ll need to copy your music over to one of the devices that runs full-time. (the slug, maybe).

Instructions for installing are at http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation

You can skip the part about running unlsung, and just skip down to the “installing firefly” section.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Ron πŸ™‚

For some strange reason I havent seen that page before. The one you link to. Everything seems to be very well explained there.
    But I cant make it work.
    Actually Ive spent quite some time trying to make my slug work with firefly and mainly Kissdx (for my Kiss player).

I would just like to start over.

Do you know how I can remove everything from the slug (except unslung 6.8 and preferably openssh) ?

Then I would follow the instructions on the page you linked to.

Its just that Ive done many mistakes, I am sure, and there are different versions of many files(like the conf file for instance). I have installed Twonky and want to get rid of it. etc. etc. etc

Is it a bad idea to start from the top ? Is there an easy way to clean up after some of the mess Ive made ?

Thanks for your help

rpedde
    Participant

@TigerKiss wrote:

Thanks Ron πŸ™‚

For some strange reason I havent seen that page before. The one you link to. Everything seems to be very well explained there.
    But I cant make it work.
    Actually Ive spent quite some time trying to make my slug work with firefly and mainly Kissdx (for my Kiss player).

I would just like to start over.

Do you know how I can remove everything from the slug (except unslung 6.8 and preferably openssh) ?

Then I would follow the instructions on the page you linked to.

Its just that Ive done many mistakes, I am sure, and there are different versions of many files(like the conf file for instance). I have installed Twonky and want to get rid of it. etc. etc. etc

Is it a bad idea to start from the top ? Is there an easy way to clean up after some of the mess Ive made ?

Thanks for your help

Hrm… I *think* you can just pretty much whack the /opt directory and follow the unslung “reslinging” procedure. But I’d have to ask those who are more nslu2-ey than me. Anyone?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its working ! πŸ˜€

Started over and used a regular sata disk 320 GB instead of the My book 500 GB with the NSLU2.
    Only problem I have now is that Itunes doesnt seem to work too well with Vista 64. I get an error message when I start Itunes, and when I tried Firefly on Itunes running on Vista 64 it broke down after 15 secs.
    Any known solutions to this out there ?
    Any alternatives to Itunes ? If so which ones ?

Next for me is to consider how to oganize my music.
    It would be optimal ( isnt that what this is all about ? ) just to have the music in one place and then distribute it from there to my computers and my Kiss player. But all those file formats ! protected files etc. Makes me sick !
    I guess the easiest would be to have all my music as mp3´s.
    Is that what people do out there ? πŸ™‚

Thanks a million Ron. You are the best ! You rock ! ❗ ❗

rpedde
    Participant

@TigerKiss wrote:

Its working ! πŸ˜€

Started over and used a regular sata disk 320 GB instead of the My book 500 GB with the NSLU2.
    Only problem I have now is that Itunes doesnt seem to work too well with Vista 64. I get an error message when I start Itunes, and when I tried Firefly on Itunes running on Vista 64 it broke down after 15 secs.
    Any known solutions to this out there ?
    Any alternatives to Itunes ? If so which ones ?

Next for me is to consider how to oganize my music.
    It would be optimal ( isnt that what this is all about ? ) just to have the music in one place and then distribute it from there to my computers and my Kiss player. But all those file formats ! protected files etc. Makes me sick !
    I guess the easiest would be to have all my music as mp3´s.
    Is that what people do out there ? πŸ™‚

Thanks a million Ron. You are the best ! You rock ! ❗ ❗

Not sure about iTunes on vista64.

As far as organizing, I manage my music on itunes, and use a tool like rsync or unison to synchronize my local files to the machine that I run my daap server one.

That way the server acts as both a backup of my music and as a music server for network devices.

— Ron

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.