New to Linux, how do I install?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am totally new to Linux and I’m not really sure how to go about installing this. I want to install Firefly onto a Linux server so I can access mp3’s through iTunes on Windows PC’s.

I’ve downloaded the dependancies:

libid3tag-0.15.1b.tar
    libmad-0.15.1b.tar
    madplay-0.15.1b.tar

How and where do I install them?

I then downloaded:

mt-daapa-0.2.4.2.tar

how and where do I install this?

grs

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw that guide, but it doesn’t explain what I type in to actually install the files.

I’m very new to Linux.

fizze
    Participant

You won’t find a type-in walkthrough. If you’re new to linux, get a flavour of linux thats extremely user friendly, like suse, ubuntu, centos and start learning it.
    You’ll see that different flavours offer different experiences.

If you use ubuntu for instance, you don’t need to do anything other than fire up the software installer (whatever its called in ubuntu) and select the firefly package. That’s it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m want to install Firefly on a ClarkConnect server, which is based on Red Hat. This is my storage server where my music files are kept which why I want Firefly there. I’ve just used

tar -zxvf libmad-0.15.1b.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf madplay-0.15.2b.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf libid3tag-0.15.1b.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf mt-daapd-0.2.4.2.tar.gz

to unpack the the files into a folder I made at /home/grs/firefly each time I unpacked them a folder containing the files was created.

From the mt-daapd readme I have to put mt-daapd.conf and mt-daapd.playlist into /etc directory. In the readme it also says

Here’s the short and sweet of it:

./configure; make; make install

I’m not sure what to do with this.

From what I understand it’s just a matter of moving the the other lib/madplay files/folders to the correct folder that they are to work from. I just can’t work out where that is though.

fizze
    Participant

Well, you should try to install a RPM first, its a LOT easier.

Check out: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?p=18954

Anonymous
    Inactive

How do I install by rpm method? That link you posted doesn’t really mean a whole lot to me.

I found a some info at the Red Hat website [url]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rpm-using.html
    [/url]
    but what is the .rpm filename, where do I get it from??

fizze
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜†
    Err… click on that link again, and this time take a few deep breaths and read through the whole thing! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Word of advice: if you don’t want to or are unable to read through such a short thread for advice, then linux probably isn’t for you. There is a lot of reading to do when things dont work like they should, and I really mean a lot. ๐Ÿ™„
    0.02รขโ€šยฌ

Anonymous
    Inactive

[root@server firefly-rpm]# rpm -Uvh libid3tag-0.15.1b-3.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm
    warning: libid3tag-0.15.1b-3.2.el4.rf.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6
    Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
    1:libid3tag ########################################### [100%]
    [root@server firefly-rpm]# rpm -Uvh mt-daapd-svn-1696.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libsqlite3.so.0 is needed by mt-daapd-svn-1696.i386
    rtld(GNU_HASH) is needed by mt-daapd-svn-1696.i386
    sqlite is needed by mt-daapd-svn-1696.i386
    [root@server firefly-rpm]#

It seems there is a whole string of other other I have to download to get it going.I’ll have to work on it over the next few days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Finally got it working with this guide
    http://www.clarkconnect.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=98199&page=1&fpart=all&vc=1
    Is there a webgui to access Firefly settings or is it all done directly with the mt-daapd.conf file?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.