NAS or PC?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DaveS2007
    Participant

Is there any performance between a Firefly running on NAS (266MHz or above) and a PC? If yes, is the difference significant or very little?

Thanks.

Dave

fizze
    Participant

Well, sorry to be mocking a little, but that would be like asking the performance difference between a F1 car and a truck 😉

In other words, yes, the performance differs greatly. I’d even go as far as claiming there are several magnitudes of differences in performance.

Still, Im running firefly off a NAS (linksys NSLU2) with ~8000 songs and am content with the performance.

DaveS2007
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

If you search a song from your 8000-song library, how much time does it take?

fizze
    Participant

About 10 seconds.

I use a RoKu soundbridge as a client, so I normall go through artist – album – song which takes, in all, about 10 seconds.

SydneyGuy
    Participant

I’ve got Firefly installed on my Synology CS-406 NAS box and also on my PC. The PC is a LOT faster at sending the browse data to my SoundBridge. Whether this is really noticeable depends on how big your music collection is.

Stability is another issue. I am having some problems keeping Firefly running on my NAS box. At this stage I am not sure if this is unique to my NAS or whether it would do the same on any CS-406. Lots of people are running it on many different NAS boxes with good results. The PC version seems rock steady.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@DaveS2007 wrote:

Is there any performance between a Firefly running on NAS (266MHz or above) and a PC? If yes, is the difference significant or very little?

I have a 20,000 song library on a Terastation Pro. I have a PC an unSlung NSLU2 both running Firefly. I have soundbridge music clients. When I access the NSLU2 Firefly server, it takes 5 seconds to connect and upwards to 10-12 seconds just to give me the artist list. After that, it’s very fast since I’ve indexed the Artist/Album attributes on the database.

When I access the PC Firefly server, connecting to the server and displaying the artist list are both nearly instantaneous.

Still – when you consider price/performance, it’s hard to beat a slug. While it is slow, it is extremely stable.

DaveS2007
    Participant

@pmorris wrote:

I have a 20,000 song library on a Terastation Pro. I have a PC an unSlung NSLU2 both running Firefly. I have soundbridge music clients. When I access the NSLU2 Firefly server, it takes 5 seconds to connect and upwards to 10-12 seconds just to give me the artist list. After that, it’s very fast since I’ve indexed the Artist/Album attributes on the database.

Thanks for the info. I am a Windows version user so I am not familiar with the NAS version. You said you’ve indexed the Artist/Album attributes. Did you do it through the Firefly web interface? or you did it through the database management tools? Are you using MySQL or any other database engine? Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a Windows version user so I am not familiar with the NAS version. You said you’ve indexed the Artist/Album attributes. Did you do it through the Firefly web interface? or you did it through the database management tools? Are you using MySQL or any other database engine? Thanks.

Actually, I’ve done nothing to tweak the database on the PC version. It was fast right out of the box. I couldn’t even tell you what database engine is running on the PC version. I don’t think you can add indexes via the Firefly web interface. On the NSLU2 I added the index on songs.db using the DBMS (SQLITE).

I should have mentioned that I’m running the stable version of Firefly available on Roku’s website on the PC.

DaveS2007
    Participant

@pmorris wrote:

On the NSLU2 I added the index on songs.db using the DBMS (SQLITE).

Thanks. Which Firefly version are you using on NSLU2?

Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

@DaveS2007 wrote:

Thanks. Which Firefly version are you using on NSLU2?

SVN-1528

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.