Music files on a second server?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

I’m running Firefly and FirePlay on my Windows webserver. It’s all working great when I have my music files on the same machine. Now I have a second server that will act as a fileserver. So all my music files will be stored there. The problem is when I change the media library in Firefly to, in this case, \server2Music the Firefly don’t find my music files. If I try the link in a web browser it open the directory. I have also set up the fileserver to accept guest account with the right to write and execute and with no password and also disabled the firewall (just in case).

So, is it possible to have the media on a second PC? If it is, any tips on how to get it to work. I’m out of ideas.

Thanks
    Per

EVILRipper
    Participant

I don’t think you can stream and scan using firefly over the network.
    It does work using explorer as the network connect is implemented in explorer, but not in firefly trying to access it as a local ‘dir’.

However, why don’t you run firefly on the second (file)server?
    Firefly is very lightweight, and broadcasts itself over the network.
    So instead of moving the files, why not move the entire ‘setup’ including music. Also, I believe you can configure fireplay to locally connect to the second server instead of localhost, so that should work too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@greycat wrote:

Hi all,

I’m running Firefly and FirePlay on my Windows webserver. It’s all working great when I have my music files on the same machine. Now I have a second server that will act as a fileserver. So all my music files will be stored there. The problem is when I change the media library in Firefly to, in this case, \server2Music the Firefly don’t find my music files. If I try the link in a web browser it open the directory. I have also set up the fileserver to accept guest account with the right to write and execute and with no password and also disabled the firewall (just in case).

So, is it possible to have the media on a second PC? If it is, any tips on how to get it to work. I’m out of ideas.

Thanks
    Per

I currently do this in my home network. I have an ubuntu music server with no music on it. The music resides on a Terastation Pro Raid 5 server. Here’s how I accomplished it. I mount the terastation file system on the ubuntu music server. The mount point is /mnt/MyMusicLibrary and then I simply tell firefly where the music is and it scans and streams just fine. I use NFS because SAMBA proved to be less reliable.

I’d love to run firefly on the terastation but haven’t had much success at installing firefly AND getting FLAC transcoding to work at the same time. I nearly bricked my Terastation and decided I would just use it to safely keep my media and I would add separate media servers.

RigasW
    Participant

My solution looks very similar:

SLUG1 (Openslug 3.1) hosts the music files in folder /opt/mp3.
    SLUG2 (SugOS/BE, installed on a 2 GB USB stick with no disk) hosts firefly.

SLUG1 serves as NFS server, SLUG2 as NFS client.
    SLUG2 has mounted the /opt/mp3 folder under /mnt/mp3. FireFly reads without any problem from this mounted drive.

Has been totally stable for months now!

SLUG 2 is always on (hosts a webserver as well), SLUG1 is shut down from time to time … (if there is not much to backup and if there is nobody home who wants to listen to music …)

I do not use SMB (Samba) on my slugs because it did not interoperate well with our XP machines (made the Windows File Explorer freeze all the time).

Rigas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.