You are here: Home » Topic » Multiple soundbridges accessing one or more mt-daapdspage 2

Multiple soundbridges accessing one or more mt-daapds

FireFly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Multiple soundbridges accessing one or more mt-daapds

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  The Highlander 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

S80_UK
    Participant

@beerfan wrote:

I’m surprised that you needed to make multiple instances. Did you split the databases?

As per my write up, each instance looks at a different selection of folders and each has its own database, so the databases are separate but will have some content which is common.

@beerfan wrote:

I created smart playlists for my wife’s stuff and some for my stuff all on the same instance. Yeah, we see each other’s playlists but other than that it’s easy to find what you want to listen to.

How? I don’t see how I could easily choose to play an album from within a playlist, or indeed to queue more than one and then play them.

@beerfan wrote:

I also browse within a playlist sometimes as that’s easy to do with iTunes or Rhythmbox. I don’t know about a Roku client…

Well, since I am only using the Roku’s to play the music, I could not think of another way of handling it. I certainly don’t want to have a PC running iTunes or similar just to do this – somehow it defeats the opject of running Firefly on the NSLU2. I could have created some smart playlists, but as far as I can tell that would not allow me to then search by artist, album etc as I can with the native Browse mode of the Roku.

rpedde
    Participant

@beerfan wrote:

I created smart playlists for my wife’s stuff and some for my stuff all on the same instance. Yeah, we see each other’s playlists but other than that it’s easy to find what you want to listen to.

How? I don’t see how I could easily choose to play an album from within a playlist, or indeed to queue more than one and then play them.
    [/quote]

As a side note, the rsp protocol allows browing by artist or album or genre from within a playlist. Roku didn’t implement it, though.

— Ron

schmove
    Participant

Hi,

I have recently bought an NSLU2 and a soundbridge and managed to get firefly installed after a few hours of tinkering. This is my first linux experience so the walk through tutorials were a great help.

Basically, what i’d like to do now is the same as S80_UK has done, one server for my music, one for the girlfriend etc etc. All my music is on an external hdd and apart from installing firefly my unslung Nslu2 is pretty much as it was when i first installed linux on it.

I’ve read as many threads as i can and apparently this shouldn’t be too hard to do, but i don’t really know where to start as i couldn’t find any idiot guides. I can log into firefly on the nslu2 and change music directories and port numbers etc so what i really need is just a few pointers in the right direction.

Do i need to keep downloading and installing more versions of firefly? or simply create more config files?

Any help at all would be great, or just tell me i’m in out of my depth and i’m sure i’ll get over it.

Cheers,

Chris.

rpedde
    Participant

@schmove wrote:

Do i need to keep downloading and installing more versions of firefly? or simply create more config files?

Really, just config files.

Copy the existing config file (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf) to a new one (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd-other.conf), and edit it appropriately.

The things you’ll *have* to change:

servername
    mp3_dir (obviously)
    port
    db_parms (to make a new db dir… mabye /opt/var/mt-daapd-other, or something that matches your config file)

Once you have those changed, run a new copy of mt-daapd with the new config (or copy /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd to /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd-other and edit it).

/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd-other.conf

That should do it. Ideally, there would be a separate mdns provider (like avahi) for mdns. I might look at putting that in unslung.

— Ron

removablebrain
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Really, just config files.

Copy the existing config file (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf) to a new one (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd-other.conf), and edit it appropriately.

The things you’ll *have* to change:

servername
    mp3_dir (obviously)
    port
    db_parms (to make a new db dir… mabye /opt/var/mt-daapd-other, or something that matches your config file)

Once you have those changed, run a new copy of mt-daapd with the new config (or copy /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd to /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd-other and edit it).

/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd-other.conf

That should do it. Ideally, there would be a separate mdns provider (like avahi) for mdns. I might look at putting that in unslung.

If I am running my own compiled version on OS X, how do I start a second instance?

schmove
    Participant

Thanks for that, reckon i can tackle that, my only difficulty is learning to copy and past etc. within linux, but thats really not your problem!

Cheers for the software pal.

Chris.

rpedde
    Participant

@removablebrain wrote:

If I am running my own compiled version on OS X, how do I start a second instance?

Same way… make a new config that properly expresses what you want to do, including making a new db directory. You can use the same web_root though.

Then, to start it, I’d set it up as a launchd item. Check out “lingon”, the launchd editor. You can set it up as a task that runs whenever you logon, or when the machine boots. That’s the way to go, imho. Basically, just run it with “-c /path/to/new/config”

— Ron

The Highlander
    Participant

@jtbse wrote:

I’m currently streaming flac (transcoding to wav) to both of them, watching the NSLU2 with atop. Both are streaming flawlessly. On the NSLU2, total cpu utilization is 15% sys and 23% usr.

I upgraded my NSLU2 to flac-1.1.4. Since then I experienced
    a much higher cpu load (at around 50% for one transcoded file).
    Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade to 1.1.3 because it
    has been removed from the repository!

Is there an explanation for this unexpected behaviour and
    how can the high load be avoided?

If I try to compile 1.1.3 on my Slug I get a bunch of error messages
    regarding dedendencies to other packages (ogg, …) 😥

S80_UK
    Participant

@The Highlander wrote:

I upgraded my NSLU2 to flac-1.1.4. Since then I experienced a much higher cpu load (at around 50% for one transcoded file).
    Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade to 1.1.3 because it has been removed from the repository!

That doesn’t sound right. FLAC 1.1.4 is supposed to be significantly more efficient than the prior versions…

See http://flac.sourceforge.net/changelog.html#flac_1_1_4

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you regarding the downgrade…

One question though – how does one measure CPU loading on the NSLU2?

Thanks,

Les.

The Highlander
    Participant

@s80_uk wrote:

That doesn’t sound right. FLAC 1.1.4 is supposed to be significantly more efficient than the prior versions…

See http://flac.sourceforge.net/changelog.html#flac_1_1_4

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you regarding the downgrade…

One question though – how does one measure CPU loading on the NSLU2?

Yes, I know the statements at sourceforge,
    but for the Slug that doesn’t appear to be correct 🙁

I am using htop to measure the cpu load.
    You get a nice ASCII display of memory, swap and cpu load…

The Highlander
    Participant

Just for your information:
    The current flac version out of the repository (1.2.1) is back to a cpu load
    of 10 to 12% per file 😆
    So it is possible to stream 2 or more files simultanously again…

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.