Multiple servers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ETAF
    Participant

I’m very new to this method of serving music – i have just purchased a new AMP/Tuner/CD player an Enigma Box and wanted to start using my wireless network (Already have MP3 players and MP3 files on Itunes) – so I purchased a roku soundbridge {told it work OK with Itunes pinnicle version – so going to have that mis-sale discussion with shop tomorrow when it re-opens } – only to discover I needed to use the firefly server, anyway having cut some CD’s and copied Itunes MP3’s onto my harddrive for serving the bridge.

now I have some questions – I’m just using the FireFly server on a laptop with music and also via Itunes on a PC – so the Roku can see two servers
    Laptop and PC Music

I have organised the music into , rock, classical, jazz, TV, etc etc
    and I wondered if there was a way to have the music seen as seperate servers
    so I connect to a classical server or a rock server and then only search a limited number of albums etc.
    But all from One PC and harddrive.

I’m also looking into buying a server – like the D-link DSM-G600 with some harddrives attached or a buffalo server attached – so it would be good to be able to have the media server software configured to serve the music onto the roku in those catorgorise

as i say – i’m very new to all this – so there may be a simple way to do this maybe – creating playlist or something

can you search playlist ?

anyhelp advice for a complete newbie

cromei
    Participant

ETAF,
    You have options available to you.
    1. different instances of Firefly running with different config files to separate the music
    2. Playlists made by iTunes to separate the music
    3. FireFly smart playlists to separate the music.
    4. More, probably but am not thinking of any.

If you setup your genre tags on your music 3 is the easiest way to go. If not 2 is pretty good as well. I have never done 1 and so can not comment.

Craig

ETAF
    Participant

Thanks for that – I can see i can set up playlists in firefly for genre
    Now I’m not using Itunes to manage the music – as i have that set for my Ipod – but i can see the shared music as a seperate library – so if in itunes I change the genre will that be reflected in the firefly database or just itunes ??

whats the best way to change the genre info for firefly to see??

cromei
    Participant

I added the folders that Firefly was looking at to serve my music, and added those to iTunes. I then changed the genre to what I wanted on each file. I then removed the files from iTunes (not really needed, but I am that sort of person that likes things tidy.) You then have to do a rescan in FireFly to get the new genres to show.

Craig

ETAF
    Participant

Thanks – had a play – seems to work but just lists all the titles of music and not artist – so I may need to rethink the whole organisation around the playlist and the Rocu screen.

would be nice to have a server just read the different directories i have set up as a different music library for ROKU to pick up and then select
    ROCK
    CLASSIC
    BOOKS
    JAZZ
    etc

and then give me the abilty to search and show on the ROKU as a normal server search….

anyway – good fun 🙂 🙂
    and thanks for the advice

rpedde
    Participant

@ETAF wrote:

would be nice to have a server just read the different directories i have set up as a different music library for ROKU to pick up and then select
    ROCK
    CLASSIC
    BOOKS
    JAZZ
    etc

You can set up smart playlists on firefly by path. Go into the “smart” tab, and set up a playlist something like this (if it’s running on windows):

path includes "\Rock"

That will find anything in a direcory called “Rock”. You’ll have to be using one of the latest nightlies for that to work though: http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org.

Also, the wizard thing won’t do path based playlists (I dont’ think), so you’ll have to directly type that in the text box.

— Ron

ETAF
    Participant

cool – thanks I’ll have a look at that – however, I assume it will just bring back the playlist as a list of music titles and not by artist

also had a look at nighties – can you explain what that means and what they are ….
    assumed a batch file to run nightly and organise the DB

fizze
    Participant

ETAF, no, the “nightlies” are the “beta” builds of mt-daapd/firefly (however you wanna call it)

They are supposedly more unstable, but have all the new features.
    Currently they are pretty much rock-solid and sport everything you need.

I’d recommend the nightlies over 0.2.4 anytime.

Depending on your platform you just have to download and install one of the nightly builds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.