mt-daapd/firefly on nslu2 install difficulties.

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd/firefly on nslu2 install difficulties.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi all.

I apologise if some of the answers to my queries are included in these forums – I’ve been reading them all day and have yet to find a solution to my problems (now i have a headache).

Here we go:

I’ve got a linksys nslu2 which i have just unslung using the unslung firmware (following the standard method). This has been a success (as far as i can tell).

I installed and configured mt-daapd using ‘ipkg install mt-daapd’. This was also successful. After editing the configuration files, I am able to see the server through iTunes (OSX). Great stuff.

Unfortunately, I bought this gear to work with my roku soundbridge.. and this is where my difficulties begin:

Edit: It’s a pinnacle soundbridge m1001

1) The first major issue is that whilst iTunes can see the mt-daapd server and the included files, the roku soundbridge cannot. I’d like to note that I have installed firefly on my laptop and the roku can see that server install perfectly.

Edit: The soundbridge says ‘incompatible servers found…’ (as per the standard error when it sees daap servers on the network).

2) From reading the forums, I understand I may need to install one of the latest nightlies to get the roku to see the server. I have followed guidance on this forum that led me to download the latest nightly package (libao_0.8.6-1_armeb.ipk and mt-daapd_svn-1417-1_armeb.ipk)

3) I have placed these packages in /tmp and have then tried to install them using the usual ipkg commands ‘ipkg install /tmp/mt-daapd_svn-1417-1_armeb.ipk’. Unfortunately, ipkg returns the following error:

ipkg: invalid magic

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? I’ve googled the error, but reports on its meaning seem a little sketchy. I’ve tried changing file locations and also downloading earlier nighlies, but this has not helped.

Any help on this would be great – I’m now almost completely stuck.

…Joe.

cromei
    Participant

Quote:

Never seen that one before…
    ipkg install mt-daapd_svn-1417-1_armeb.ipk
    is what I do for each nightly… The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t like the tmp/ before and you need to cd to the tmp dir and run there? I have the same setup and will try to see if I can duplicate.

Craig

I have the same setup and will try to see if I can duplicate.

Thanks… i’m lost on this one.

I’ve tried cd’ing to the tmp/ dir and running the ipkg from there, but I get the same thing.[/quote]

sansp00
    Participant

From my own *nix experience, probably related to the magic number … The magic number is sort of part of the header of a file indicating what kind of file it is. Looks like maybe your file got corrupted or something.
    Try out with a ‘fresh’ file …
    Patrick S.

M@rk
    Participant

I know next to nothing about how Linux works but, when I updated from mt-daapd-0.2.4 to mt-daapd_svn-1372-1_armeb.ipk I dropped mt-daapd_svn-1372-1_armeb.ipk & libao_0.8.6-1_armeb.ipk into the public folder on my slug from windows and then via telnet:

cd /tmp
    cp /share/hdd/data/public/mt-daapd_svn-1372-1_armeb.ipk /tmp
    ipkg update
    ipkg install gdbm
    ipkg install libid3tag
    ipkg install -force-overwrite mt-daapd_svn-1372-1_armeb.ipk
    cp /share/hdd/data/public/
    ipkg install libao_0.8.6-1_armeb.ipk

After re-booting the slug, everything just worked.

fizze
    Participant

maybe the downloading of the nslu2 ipk file went wrong.

try to use

wget http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/dl.php?FILE=mt-daapd_svn-1417-1_armeb.ipk

in your console session – I hope you use putty. hint: right clicking into the putty window dumps the contents of the clipboard right where the cursor is.
    So just copy the URL in the clipboard, type wget [SPACE] and hit the right mouse button.
    OBviously, your slug needs to have access to the internet for this to work.

I too have never seen that thing. But maybe your unslinging didnt work?
    What port did you unsling to, and whats the message the is displayed after you login to telnet/ssh?
    There should be something like:

unslung to disk 2

Sansp00 –

Thanks… I’ve tried using fresh files, but still no luck

M@rk –

Thanks to you too… I’ll keep that in mind, if and when I get the ipkg thing working to achieve the first stage.

Fizze –

1) Tried the wget thing already… file downlaods, but still get the same errors. Thanks.

2) I was unslung to drive 2. I’ve now decided to re-unsling the whole thing. I’ll try to drive1, just in case it makes any difference at all.

barnseyboy
    Participant

you could try in irc.freenode.net #nslu2-general, there is quite a few nslu2 users in there.

fizze
    Participant

well, the posts I read are hinting to a bad file, still.
    maybe you have a wrong DNS setup, and are fetching an http-404, or something like that.

whats the size of that ipkg ?
    does it fit the size on the nightlies page?

rpedde
    Participant

@cromei wrote:

Quote:

Never seen that one before…
    ipkg install mt-daapd_svn-1417-1_armeb.ipk
    is what I do for each nightly… The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t like the tmp/ before and you need to cd to the tmp dir and run there? I have the same setup and will try to see if I can duplicate.

I’ve seen it a bunch — I had a bad wget that was claiming to have downloaded files, but actually only left a zero-length file. Oops! Double check that the file size is right, and that it’s not empty.

Did you also try downloading from a pc and copying it to a slug, versus actually downloading it from the slug itself.

Also, I recently put up mipsel binaries, too… are you sure that you got the armeb binary and not the mipsel by mistake?

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.