mt-daapd starts manually but not at boot time (Ubuntu)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd starts manually but not at boot time (Ubuntu)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there

I’m running Ubuntu 7.10 (server edition) and have installed mt-daapd and avahi from their respective packages using apt-get. I’ve set up startup scripts fot mt-daapd (sudo update-rc.d /etc/init.d/mt-daapd defaults ) and avahi to get both to start at boot-time.

The problem comes when I reboot:
    * I can hit localhost:3689 with my web browser, and the status page tells me that both Bonjour and Firefly server are “Running” – but other PC’s on the network running iTunes don’t see my firefly server (they do, however see each other’s shared libraries).

* A check with avahi-browse only reports my local workstation (ie. no mention of iTunes sharing)

* If I manually stop mt-daapd (either from the web interface or from the command line), then re-start (either sudo mt-daapd -f or sudo /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start) all is well – Firefly loads up, avahi-browse shows the appropriate iTunes sharing services, and my other PC’s can then see the server a short time later.

I’d like mt-daapd to start automatically on boot. Overall the configuration seems to work (or, at least I can make it work!) but obviously I’m missing something in the startup script department…

Given that I can get it do work manually by sudo restarting mt-daapd (leavig avahi alone), does this smell like a permissions problem to do with Firefly? [Disclaimer: I’m a Linux newbie]

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

Anonymous
    Inactive

Solved!When I delved under the hood I noticed that mt-daapd was starting before avahi in the startup script sequence.
    With some tweaking it’s all back in working order now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What exactly did you do to check and modify this?

I’m new to Ubuntu and think I’m having the same issue you did. I have Firefly up and running fine, but after a while the server will just drop out of iTunes. It usually happens when I let it sit for a long time / log out and then back in to the client running iTunes. If I check the server, Firefly is running properly…so I’m guessing this is an issue with avahi. But when I check to ensure it was running at startup things seemed fine. Any hints as to what I need to check and change?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi dhew
    I had a similar issue as well – Firefly would initially appear in my iTunes window then disappear intermittently. Sometimes it just wouldn’t show up and the whole thing was pretty random and unreliable.

That particular problem turned out to be my wireless router (a D-Link). I had to enable IGMP (sometimes called multicast) which was turned off by default.

It would be worth checking that out – the router’s administration interface should lead you to it.

Now it’s up and working like a treat.

Hope that helps
    Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.