mt-daapd on NSLU2 fails to find music files

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd on NSLU2 fails to find music files

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    hpsenicka
    Participant

With a bit of difficulty, I have finally succeeded in unslinging my NSLU2, and installing the latest nightly build of Firefly.

The mt-daapd service starts, but fails to scan the MP3 folder for music files.

Suggestions??

It may be relevant to know that before installing the latest nightly, I had tried and failed to install the mt-daapd package … had difficulty with the config being broken due to incorrect file locations.

Thanks!

fizze
    Participant

where are the mp3 files ?
    what HD, where did you plug it to the NSLU2 and what port have you “unslung” to ?

My guess is that you either havent correctly mounted the mp3 dir, or mt-daapd doesnt have permissions to read that dir.

Whats the last output in the log file ?

hpsenicka
    Participant

Thanks for your response….

The NSLU2 is running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta, from a 300Gb Maxtor drive attached to USB port 2. It is the only drive attached.

The files (MP3 and FLAC) are all located in the MP3 folder visible through the web administration interface of the NSLU2, which also happens to be the /public/mp3 folder.

Where do I find the log file?

Is there any other info I can provide that would be helpful?

fizze
    Participant

the logfile is /var/log/messages, unless you changed it in the config file.

how are the permissions of the mp3 directory ?

hpsenicka
    Participant

The message log indicates there was an error rescanning.. bad path?

Next step is to find the config file and verify correct path settings.. looks like there are multipl mt-daapd config files. Any way of determining which one is the right one?

Permissions were set using chmod as per installation instructions

hpsenicka
    Participant

OK… I think I am over that hurdle…..

Mt-daapd is now scanning and playing MP3 files.

Have some issues with FLAC files I need to sort out…

Sherlock

I have been wanting to move my music to an NSLU2 with mt-daapd for quite a long time. Not being a Linux person has been holding me back. However, I spent quite a bit of time researching the ‘Unslung’ process and did it successfully this morning. I now have a V2.3R63-uNSLUng 6.8 beta with a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 attached as Disk 2 which seems to be the current recommendation in the install guidelines. I then conquered the IPKG process and installed mt-daapd following the guidelines. Everything went well until step 6) ‘chmod o+r -R /share/hdd/data/public/mp3’ to make sure the server has permissions to read your music files. I get “No such file or directory” at this point. Now my lack of Linux knowledge hurts. I have gotten my “Linux for Dummies” book out and will struggle with this, but my guess is that by attaching my USB disk to Disk 2, the step-by-step guide is no longer accurate. This is probably the same problem that the original poster ran into. Since most people new to the NSLU2 are likely to follow the same path I did, if the step-by-step guide needs changing, it would be a big help to those of us who are not Linux experts.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me; just be gentle as my knowledge of Linux is very minimal.

hpsenicka
    Participant

@Sherlock wrote:

I have been wanting to move my music to an NSLU2 with mt-daapd for quite a long time. Not being a Linux person has been holding me back. However, I spent quite a bit of time researching the ‘Unslung’ process and did it successfully this morning. I now have a V2.3R63-uNSLUng 6.8 beta with a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 attached as Disk 2 which seems to be the current recommendation in the install guidelines. I then conquered the IPKG process and installed mt-daapd following the guidelines. Everything went well until step 6) ‘chmod o+r -R /share/hdd/data/public/mp3’ to make sure the server has permissions to read your music files. I get “No such file or directory” at this point. Now my lack of Linux knowledge hurts. I have gotten my “Linux for Dummies” book out and will struggle with this, but my guess is that by attaching my USB disk to Disk 2, the step-by-step guide is no longer accurate. This is probably the same problem that the original poster ran into. Since most people new to the NSLU2 are likely to follow the same path I did, if the step-by-step guide needs changing, it would be a big help to those of us who are not Linux experts.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me; just be gentle as my knowledge of Linux is very minimal.

My experience was that the locations of the files have changed….

“The files (MP3 and FLAC) are all located in the MP3 folder visible through the web administration interface of the NSLU2, which also happens to be the /public/mp3 folder.”

Try using “chmod o+r -R /public/mp3” instead…. worked for me!

Sherlock

@hpsenicka wrote:

My experience was that the locations of the files have changed….

“The files (MP3 and FLAC) are all located in the MP3 folder visible through the web administration interface of the NSLU2, which also happens to be the /public/mp3 folder.”

Try using “chmod o+r -R /public/mp3” instead…. worked for me!

Thanks for your reply. Interesting that I could not see your entire post until I responded via ‘quote’. I got through enough Linux to see that the MP3 folder was as you say, /public/mp3. I did the chmod command as you suggested and it worked, but when I attempted to start mt-daapd I got errors of “Bad MP3 directory” and “Error reading config file”.

I was able to install mt-daapd via the IPKG route. I will have to figure out this ‘nightly build’ process to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help.

hpsenicka
    Participant

Which version of mt-daapd did you install?

I am currently using the SVN-1050 version from the nightlies rather than the stable package that is offerred by default through the ipkg process.

A newer nightly version SVN-1082 is now available, but it appears some folks are may be having issues with it at the moment so I intend to wait for the dust to settle a bit before upgrading to that version.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.