mt-daapd: Multiple shares per computer?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests mt-daapd: Multiple shares per computer?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wendell3

Hi there,

Is there any way to setup multiple iTunes shares from a single IP address? In other words, I want to break up the stuff on my server into multiple categories… “Music”, “Lectures”, “Podcasts” and have them be their own independent SHARES (the size of the current master share is currently getting out of hand).

Is this possible? Also, is there any mt-daapd support for video at all?

Thanks everyone!
    -Wendell

fizze
    Participant

I think there is another thread about video, and this has been answered in detail by Ron.

About multiple shares:
    You simply have to run multiple instances of mt-daapd. This topic has also been answered in detail a couple of times.

A quick forum search is your friend. πŸ˜‰

CCRDude
    Participant

Btw, iTunes as a server doesn’t offer more than one server per ip+port… has someone tested if iTunes or the Soundbridge support more than one as a client? The protocol is quite clearly having the capability to list and select more than one, so I was wondering for some time already… πŸ™‚

Shadow
    Participant

The Roku Soundbridge M1001 can access multiple firefly servers on the same network I have done that. When I was first setting everything up I had setup firefly on my laptop computer as the server to configure and get running with the Soundbridge then later I setup and configured my NSLU2 to act as the server and had not uninstalled firefly on my laptop yet. Only thing you need to do is make sure you name the servers differently then you can choose which server to connect to with the Soundbridge I had my servers named Laptop and NSLU2 so it was easy to figure out what one I was using with the Soundbridge.

CCRDude
    Participant

Multiple Firefly servers on the same network, or even same machine, are easy, I know πŸ™‚

What I was – purely theoretical – thinking about was this:

GET http://w.x.y.z:3689/databases?session-id=4&revision-number=1 HTTP/1.1
    Client-DAAP-Version: 3.2
    Client-DAAP-Access-Index: 1

daap.serverdatabases=
    dmap.status=0x000000C8 (200)
    dmap.updatetype=0x00 (0)
    dmap.specifiedtotalcount=0x00000001 (1)
    dmap.returnedcount=0x00000001 (1)
    dmap.listing=

dmap.listingitem=

dmap.itemid=0x00000001 (1)
    dmap.itemname=MyFireflyName
    dmap.itemcount=0x00000F (15)
    dmap.containercount=0x0000000A (10)

and

GET http://w.x.y.z:3689/databases/1/containers?session-id=4&revision-number=1 HTTP/1.1
    Client-DAAP-Version: 3.2

As you can see, the DAAP protocol is able to support multiple databases on one and the same server accessed through a single port, and each access URL specifies which database to access in a prominent way.

iTunes never offered a way to use this imho though, so I’m not sure if iTunes – or the SB – would display those if they were available.

If, and only if, they would, that would be a memory-saving (one process less) alternative to multiple instances.

(edit: to test, someone could hack Firefly to just return the standard database twice, just with a different name, as a response to the first request, since it already delivers the first databases contents when one tries to access /databases/43/ or whatever one πŸ˜‰ )

(edit #2: and thats only the daap protocol, not fitting Pinnacle-branded Soundbridges I just remembered πŸ˜‰ ).

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

(edit: to test, someone could hack Firefly to just return the standard database twice, just with a different name, as a response to the first request, since it already delivers the first databases contents when one tries to access /databases/43/ or whatever one πŸ˜‰ )

Did that some time ago. Seems to only supports the one database (and that with an ID of 1). At least it did as of iTunes 4 or 5 or so.

I wondered if they were going to make one system-wide daap server, and let iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie (I had assumed they would put movie sharing in as well) use the system daemon under different dbs. But they moved another way — using a separate daap (dpap?) server for iPhoto and merging movie sharing into iTunes.

I would imagine it still doesn’t work.

— Ron

tji

Couldn’t the existing server do this fairly easily by running multiple instances each pointing to a different directory for their content?

I guess the protocol might not like seeing multiple advertisements from the same IP address. But, you could use virtual NICs to create several IPs for the host, and bind each instance of the daemon to its own NIC / IP Address.

In linux this it’s easy to create virtual interfaces:

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.2.11
    ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.2.13
    ifconfig eth0:3 192.168.2.17

rpedde
    Participant

@tji wrote:

Couldn’t the existing server do this fairly easily by running multiple instances each pointing to a different directory for their content?

I guess the protocol might not like seeing multiple advertisements from the same IP address. But, you could use virtual NICs to create several IPs for the host, and bind each instance of the daemon to its own NIC / IP Address.

In linux this it’s easy to create virtual interfaces:

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.2.11
    ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.2.13
    ifconfig eth0:3 192.168.2.17

Yeah, and that’s what the thread mentioned above talks about. As it happens you can use one ip address, it’s okay. Just have to use separate ports, of course.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.