mt-daapd doesn’t announce itself here…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd doesn’t announce itself here…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CCRDude
    Participant

Have the same problem on two machines (moving my music from an old Mandrake to a new RedHat server):
    mt-daapd says it’s mDNS server is running (the Stop link in the web interface doesn’t work even), but it doesn’t show up in any iTunes. On the old machine, I had daapd before, and just used mDNSResponderPosix to successfully announce mt-daapd.

On the new machine, I installed Howl, and can use mDNSPublish “My Jukebox” _daap._tcp 3689 & to announce… but since mt-daapd is supposed to do that as well, I wonder what’s wrong here. Rendezvous works in general, as mDNSResponderPosix and mDNSPublish (Howl) show, but not in mt-daapd 🙁

CCRDude
    Participant

Update: I couldn’t imagine any conflicts as I have no other multicastdns apps, but since Howl itself worked, I did re-configure mt-daapd to use howl instead, and now it announces properly.

rpedde
    Participant

It’s possible that if those were running, mt-daapd refused to start the rendezvous service. The version of apple’s mdns responder that’s bundled with mt-daapd (58.8) tries to open the multicast socket in a manner that requires exclusive access.

Also, 0.2.1.1 has a known issue on amd64, if that’s what you are running.

The howl solution is the “right” solution anyway… In fact, I think the next version isn’t going to include mdns stuff anyway, but require howl. (or a standalone mdns).

An app that has a built-in mdns responder is just stupid. It doesn’t encourage the adoption of mDNS because all the built-in responders step on each other’s toes, and nothing works the way that rendezvous is supposed to.

In a perfect world, all the distros would ship with Howl anyway.

CCRDude
    Participant

Thanks for that info!

Howl or the Apple one weren’t running on the new machine yet, and the status page showed that mt-daapds rendezvous (bonjour or what it is called now) was actually running, but it’s a 64 bit processor (Xeon, even though I would have preferred an AMD as well 😉 ) on 64 bit Linux.

Glad to know I hear the right solution by accident :laugh:

rpedde
    Participant

I don’t have a place for patches, but I’ll find a place to post the patch for 0.2.1.1 for 64 bit here soon.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

First step is to make sure your howl works. Forget about mt-daapd, and just get howl to advertise mt-daapd. If you can’t get that going, there is more fundamental problems at work.

Edit your config file to advertise _daap._tcp on port 3689. See if that shows up in iTunes.

Then, start mt-daapd with -m. That disables the built-in responder. Once that’s running, see if you can connect. (let it run a while to make sure the database is indexed).

If you can’t get to this point, then it’s likely a firewall or other issue. So start there.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

Good to hear.

Cheers

— Ron

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.