More than an iTunes Server

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Everybody

I want to consolidate my music library (along with everybody else I’m sure) on a server. I have a Macbook, Macbook Pro, Xbox 360 and a PC running Win XP. I also have a older P4 2.5 that I want to turn into a server so all these machines can access my itunes library. I have 2 questions…..First of all what OS should I use for my server (WHS, FreeBSD, FreeNAS, etc….), and is there anyway that I can put all my music on this server (having nothing on my Macbook’s and Win XP machine) and still be able to sync my ipod on my MacBook’s.

I also do web design and development. So sometimes clients want Microsoft products so that is why I mentioned WHS as a server option. I figure with WHS I can install IIS/SQL and Apache/PHP/MySql.

Thanks

fizze
    Participant

I don’t know about the Xbox 360 speaking DAAP (iTunes sharing) – but the old one with XBMC sure did.
    Still, with using WHS you can run a UPnP share off WMP (I guess thats possible), and still use firefly to serve up for the Macs etc.

Now as far as remote syncing to an iPod from a shared library is concerned, I have no clue about that.
    My advice is to do a test-run then you’ll know for sure.

If you use *IX as OS however, you can also run LAMP, but have to pass on IIS. I don’t think I have to name any arguments pro Unices here 😉

You could just as easy set up a virtual WHS using Vmware, Sun’s Virtualbox (the latter I can recommend), etc.

The P4 has more than enough CPU power, even with all other servers running and the virtualization.

stretch
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Now as far as remote syncing to an iPod from a shared library is concerned, I have no clue about that.

AFAIK, the DAAP protocol specifically prevents this for copyright reasons.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So there is no way to sync my ipod. What would you suggest then. Should I keep copies of all my music files on a local machine as well…..That seems lame as I don’t want to double up on them.

Thanks for your respones

Anonymous
    Inactive

could I connect my ipod directly to the server and ad music that way?

fizze
    Participant

If you want to use iTunes to sync that would be an option.
    If you are making use of any other tools that are “out there” you can of course sync pretty much anything.

Under *IX you would have to use Banshee to sync for instance. The limitation lies with iTunes, not the iPod.
    So you might be able to find any other software that allows you to sync from a remote share. No luck with DRM’s stuff, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok, so let me understand this…..If I have a WHS with firefly on it serving up my itunes library which is all DRM free (I buy CD’s and then rip them), I can sync my ipod on my local machines with no problems?

fizze
    Participant

No, because if you use iTunes to sync the iPod, it won’t let you sync from a remote share.

For Firefly it doesn’t matter if you listen to the songs, or download them or whatnot. It will serve you the requested content.

But there are dozens of other apps that allow you to put music on your iPod. Like this app for instance.

I guess the chances are best that apps like Amarok or Rhythmbox will allow syncing even from a remote iTunes share.

stretch
    Participant

One other way is to make iTunes on one of your computers access the library on the server directly instead of via Firefly. You achieve this by changing the library location under preferences.
    You would then use this computer only for ripping, editing ID tags, creating playlists, changing song ratings & syncing with your iPod.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.