Missing Songs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

mt-daapd/Firefly Version: 0.2.4+r1376-1
    Server Operating System: Debian 2.6.18-5-686
    Server Hardware: Pentium III 733, 110mb
    Client Device: iTunes 6.0.5 for Windows
    Also tried using: winamp daap plugin
    Connection of clients: Wireless accesspoint on Belkin ADSL router
    Web interface: yes (shows)
    iTunes XML file: Yes

Hi
    I have an issue with some songs not appearing in the itunes library.
    The songs are in mp3 format with correctly formatted id3v1 and v2 tags.
    They work fine in itunes and winamp when placed in the library manually.
    They are indexed with mt-daapd and are in the Web Interface’s Playlist.html library.
    However they do not show up in the daap library that shows up in itunes or winamp.
    All settings are the defaults for mt-daap and it was installed via apt-get on debian.
    Sorry if this is an obvious problem but i have searched the forums and cannot find a solution.
    Many thanks
    David

rpedde
    Participant

@drnewbury wrote:

They are indexed with mt-daapd and are in the Web Interface’s Playlist.html library.

That’s kind of strange. If they show up in the playlist.html, then they have to be sent to the client. Is it possible that it isn’t indexing the metadata right and that they files are actually *there*, but they show up with different/wrong metadata? Like, maybe they show up with a title of the filename, rather than song title, or something like that.

If it shows up in the playlist.html, then it’s getting sent to iTunes. Those lists are populated the same way, using the same mechanism. If the playlist gets those files, so does iTunes.

Now, if it’s missing from both, then it’s likely a permissions problem — the “runas” user can’t read the files (or doesn’t have r-x permissions to a directory above the file in question).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its definitely in the Firefly playlist
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~nnewbury/playlisthtml.png
    and they fail to show in itunes
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~nnewbury/itunes.png

I have also checked the file /var/cache/mt-daapd/songs3.db
    and the files are listed there.

I opened a few of the missing files id3 tags and tried searching itunes for all of the terms and information listed, none of the information retured any relevant results.

There shouldn’t be any permissions as all users on the debian box have full permissions to the samba share that holds the song files.

All the songs that are showing up have no issues playing and display there information correctly.

one thing that may be of note is that firefly’s home page indicates that it is serving 19885 songs while itunes indicates that the mt-daapd library only includes 15100 songs.

Are there any other issues that you could see causing this problem?

rpedde
    Participant

@drnewbury wrote:

Its definitely in the Firefly playlist
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~nnewbury/playlisthtml.png
    and they fail to show in itunes
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~nnewbury/itunes.png

I have also checked the file /var/cache/mt-daapd/songs3.db
    and the files are listed there.

I opened a few of the missing files id3 tags and tried searching itunes for all of the terms and information listed, none of the information retured any relevant results.

There shouldn’t be any permissions as all users on the debian box have full permissions to the samba share that holds the song files.

All the songs that are showing up have no issues playing and display there information correctly.

one thing that may be of note is that firefly’s home page indicates that it is serving 19885 songs while itunes indicates that the mt-daapd library only includes 15100 songs.

Are there any other issues that you could see causing this problem?

The searches are not the same on the playlist thing and iTunes. Hit the magnifying glass on the iTunes search, and make sure you are searching “all”.

It looks like the songs you are having problems with have no metadata. It might be that iTunes is just rejecting anything that has no metadata.

That’s a possibility, particuarly since it does seem that the songs iTunes doesn’t see are the songs with bad metadata.

Ooooh… wait. there is another possibility.

Try adding an option called “empty_strings” with a value of 1 in the [daap] section of your config. That dummies up crappy metadata. See what that does.

— Ron

silicon

I am having the exact same problem on Debian Etch with mt-daapd package which is showing as version 0.2.4+r137.
    The firefly administrative page shows 32732 songs and in itunes it reports as having only 7099 songs. empty_strings did nothing before and after enabling it. I’ve also verified that it’s not because missing metadata because i’ve checked songs that have perfect idv3 tags that aren’t showing up at all on the daap share.

here is a link to the log file with the server running in debug -9 with itunes querying it:
    http://www.onedump.com/file14/a62679d36a6f9018a6f8b231a587a804/mt-daapd-log.txt

rpedde
    Participant

@silicon wrote:

I am having the exact same problem on Debian Etch with mt-daapd package which is showing as version 0.2.4+r137.
    The firefly administrative page shows 32732 songs and in itunes it reports as having only 7099 songs. empty_strings did nothing before and after enabling it. I’ve also verified that it’s not because missing metadata because i’ve checked songs that have perfect idv3 tags that aren’t showing up at all on the daap share.

here is a link to the log file with the server running in debug -9 with itunes querying it:

What I’d have to see is a full scan at -d9, and a copy of your songs3.db.

You could email those to [email protected].

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have experienced the same problem. For me occurred after I copied files to my Firefly-folder using netatalk (Apple Networking Protocol under Linux). After I deleted the files and recopied them using SSH, after which they were scanned correctly.
    I have to say though, that mt-daapd didn’t recognize in the first place, unlike some seem to have experienced in this thread.

vanguardist

@silicon wrote:

And I am having the same problem above with Ubuntu 8.10. Package version says: 0.9~r1696.dfsg-2, which could be somewhat old.

Is it a matter of a simple upgrade? I’ve tried changing persmissions so that the runas user can see the files. Some files are picked up, others are not. Only some files show in iTunes. Very odd behavior. At one point, it was able to see some files. Then I rescanned and the files that were there before are now gone. Also, the playlist.html feature does not seem to work. Again, it could be an old version.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.