"mDNS Error -65537" ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Patrekur
    Participant

Hi,

I am getting the following error in the mt-daapd.log file:

“mDNS Error -65537”

mt-daapd seems to run fine but it does not show up in iTunes. If you type in the URL for the mt-daapd webconfig that works fine and in fact tells me that the status of Bonjour is “Stopped”.

This happened on the latest trunk revision (r1281) and I also reverted back to earlier version that worked fine in the past (r1208 and r994).

So I’m thinking this might have some other cause. I did change recently from two Music directories to one but even throwing out the the songs database doesn’t help. So for now I am stumped.

This is on NetBSD/sparc 3.0

Any ideas?

rpedde
    Participant

@Patrekur wrote:

Hi,

I am getting the following error in the mt-daapd.log file:

“mDNS Error -65537”

mt-daapd seems to run fine but it does not show up in iTunes. If you type in the URL for the mt-daapd webconfig that works fine and in fact tells me that the status of Bonjour is “Stopped”.

This happened on the latest trunk revision (r1281) and I also reverted back to earlier version that worked fine in the past (r1208 and r994).

So I’m thinking this might have some other cause. I did change recently from two Music directories to one but even throwing out the the songs database doesn’t help. So for now I am stumped.

This is on NetBSD/sparc 3.0

Any ideas?

Did you suddenly become multihomed?

Patrekur
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Connected to multiple networks you mean?

No? The box has one NIC and it is only on my LAN.

rpedde
    Participant

@Patrekur wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

-65537 is the “unknown error” error.

Usually it’s because it has a hard time finding the interface, or something like that. Nothing has changed with the interface? new kind? different drivers? Nothing like that?

Patrekur
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@Patrekur wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

-65537 is the “unknown error” error.

Usually it’s because it has a hard time finding the interface, or something like that. Nothing has changed with the interface? new kind? different drivers? Nothing like that?

I said before the box only has one NIC. That is not entirely true. It has one le: 10 Mbps AMD 7990 Lance ethernet and one hme: 100 Mbps full-duplex “Happy Meal” ethernet.

Now the way these ethernet interfaces are assigned a MAC address is a bit funny because the MAC address is stored in a ROM and both of the ethernet interfaces get the same MAC address. Because of this you can never use them on the same network.

Now I don’t think I ever used the le and always kept to the “happy meal” but what if I accidently changed that could that have an effect like this?

I checked and only the happy meal is used right now.

Are there rendezvous settings stored somewhere that would get out of wack when you change the NIC (with the same MAC)?

Patrekur
    Participant

And now I am digging through my memory….

I remember that a while ago I was playing around with enabling only one “media” namely UTP because these cards also have an AUI connector which is some kind of network connector that clearly didn’t make it. The annoing thing was that my dmesg was filled by messages that le0 could not get a signal on UTP and it was switching to AUI to try that and vice versa several times a second or minute.

Anyway I couldn’t figure out how to set the medium properly so I ended up disabling the le0 altogether as I wasn’t using it anyway. So now the hme0 is the only one that tries to get a dhcp ip address.

Could that be the change that did it?

I can re-enable the le0 dhcp lookup and see if it makes a difference?

If it doesn’t is there anything I should look for to wipe so the mDNS starts with a clean slate? (if that makes sense)

Patrekur
    Participant

Ok….. Enabled the le0 dhcp lookup again and lo and behold I see my iTunes Music Server again in iTunes!! Hurray!

Still my question remains if there is a way to “wipe the slate” as asked before?

fizze
    Participant

wow, I never heard of a working dev with 2 identical MACs…. 😉
    seems thats a weird bug/feature in combination with a (lets call it ) “unclean” implementation of mDNS… weirdish….

you cant just use your modules or ifconfig to assign le0 a different mac adress at boot, can you ?

rpedde
    Participant

@Patrekur wrote:

Ok….. Enabled the le0 dhcp lookup again and lo and behold I see my iTunes Music Server again in iTunes!! Hurray!

Still my question remains if there is a way to “wipe the slate” as asked before?

I think the “right” thing to do is switch over to howl… the built-in responder is going to go away in favor of avahi and howl anyway, so now’s the time.

I think that’s the best solution.

Patrekur
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@Patrekur wrote:

I think the “right” thing to do is switch over to howl… the built-in responder is going to go away in favor of avahi and howl anyway, so now’s the time.

I think that’s the best solution.

Ok, but that wasn’t my question….

Anyway, what’s wrong with Apple zeroconf implementation. Is it the license?

What version of Bonjour is used in mt-daapd?

If i would want to use howl/avahi/bonjour as a separate library is it a matter of installing the packages and telling mt-daapd to us that?

I see on NetBSD there are plenty of options:

– Apple’s mDNSResponder 108: http://pkgsrc.se/net/mDNSResponder

and

– Howl 1.0.0 http://pkgsrc.se/net/howl

but no Avahi as of yet. If you have to choose which one and why? Is there documentation about how to use mDNSResponder/Howl/Avahi with mt-daapd somewhere?

P.S. Did you see my email about trac ticket spam?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.