Manage Files on WHS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nylobo

I’m using firefly media server on my WHS box. No problems…it’s working great and I can see the shared library on all my pc’s. I was just curious how most people manage tags, add new files, etc to the library. What’s the best practice for managing your mp3’s when they reside in your shared folder on your WHS. I think installing itunes client on the server seems a bit silly, but i’m not sure how else to manage my files. I was thinking of having one computer with itunes point to the library file on WHS. I would then use this one computer to manage the library. I seem to remember that itunes doesn’t allow you to point to a library existing on a mapped drive. Could be wrong about this though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s given me an idea 😀

stretch
    Participant

I use Media Monkey. It understands network drives

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, the latest version of iTunes does allow you to have your iTunes Music folder on a remote disc, such as your music share on the server. I’ve configured this myself to clear all that content off my regular computer.

Regards,
    Jester

stretch
    Participant

@JesterJ wrote:

Actually, the latest version of iTunes does allow you to have your iTunes Music folder on a remote disc, such as your music share on the server. I’ve configured this myself to clear all that content off my regular computer.

Regards,
    Jester

Actually, iTunes has been able to use a network drive for quite some time.
    You just enter //servername/sharename into the library location.
    iTunes happliy resets the library location to the default location when ever it feels like it. This behaviour becomes extremely annoying by about the third time you have to re-enter your music library location

Anonymous
    Inactive

@stretch wrote:

Actually, iTunes has been able to use a network drive for quite some time.
    You just enter //servername/sharename into the library location.
    iTunes happliy resets the library location to the default location when ever it feels like it. This behaviour becomes extremely annoying by about the third time you have to re-enter your music library location

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how long they’ve had that, so I was hesitant about being specific 🙂 . So far, I haven’t been burned by iTunes reseting the library location.

Jester

stretch
    Participant

All you need to do is have your NAS a little preoccupied with some other tasks.
    It just needs to be enough for iTunes to time out.

If using windows & you have the music share on the server mapped to a drive letter then the problem will occur very regularly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.